POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I think it's time I give up rendering... Server Time
8 Jul 2024 08:10:49 EDT (-0400)
  I think it's time I give up rendering... (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: jhu
Subject: I think it's time I give up rendering...
Date: 11 Feb 2015 21:10:01
Message: <web.54dc0b06ca3769aad19b0ec40@news.povray.org>
This grass is from Skyrim. Yeah, Skyrim. Ok, it has a grass mod applied but
still, Skyrim...

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'ywea8wo.jpg' (518 KB)

Preview of image 'ywea8wo.jpg'
ywea8wo.jpg

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Re: I think it's time I give up rendering...
Date: 12 Feb 2015 03:24:16
Message: <54dc6330@news.povray.org>
On 12/02/2015 02:08 AM, jhu wrote:
> This grass is from Skyrim. Yeah, Skyrim. Ok, it has a grass mod applied but
> still, Skyrim...

Yeah, but what does it look like in motion? ;-)

It's easy enough to set up something that looks amazing from one angle,
but then when you walk around it, you realise it's all flat billboards...

Post a reply to this message

>> This grass is from Skyrim. Yeah, Skyrim. Ok, it has a grass mod
>> applied but
>> still, Skyrim...
>
> Yeah, but what does it look like in motion? ;-)
>
> It's easy enough to set up something that looks amazing from one angle,
> but then when you walk around it, you realise it's all flat billboards...

The grasses in some games look amazing, like in Far Cry 4, but when you
see it close it is just ugly.
When a game will have a ray-tracing display, then we will think to give up.
--
Lionel
<b>Do not judge my words, judge my actions.</b>

---

From: jhu
Date: 12 Feb 2015 10:45:00
Message: <web.54dcc9df6ba63ae6d19b0ec40@news.povray.org>
> On 12/02/2015 02:08 AM, jhu wrote:
> > This grass is from Skyrim. Yeah, Skyrim. Ok, it has a grass mod applied but
> > still, Skyrim...
>
> Yeah, but what does it look like in motion? ;-)

From what I've heard, a slide show. That's probably an exaggeration though.

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 12 Feb 2015 10:52:19
Message: <54dccc33$1@news.povray.org>
>>> This grass is from Skyrim. Yeah, Skyrim. Ok, it has a grass mod applied but
>>> still, Skyrim...
>>
>> Yeah, but what does it look like in motion? ;-)
>
>  From what I've heard, a slide show. That's probably an exaggeration though.

Presumably a slightly faster slideshow than POV could manage though :-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 12 Feb 2015 13:00:26
Message: <54dcea3a$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/02/2015 03:52 PM, scott wrote:
> Presumably a slightly faster slideshow than POV could manage though :-)

Sure. But at what accuracy?

PS. This discussion used to happen on the POV-Ray servers roughly once
per month at one time... ;-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 12 Feb 2015 13:03:15
Message: <54dceae3$1@news.povray.org>
> When a game will have a ray-tracing display, then we will think to give up.

I don't know. Just because something is ray-traced doesn't automatically
make it look amazing. I remember somebody managed to build a FPGA that
does real-time ray-tracing. They ported the Quake 4 (?) engine to run on
it. The screen-shots looked... rubbish. Because it's ray-tracing flat
polygons with bilinear textures and no bump-maps.

*We* think of ray-tracing as the ultimate in realism more because we're
rendering implicit surfaces and area lights and diffuse
inter-reflections. If you take a regular game engine (which ONLY renders
flat polygons) and ray-trace that... it doesn't actually look much
different, TBH.

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 13 Feb 2015 03:36:37
Message: <54ddb795$1@news.povray.org>
> PS. This discussion used to happen on the POV-Ray servers roughly once
> per month at one time... ;-)

And then you went and changed jobs!