POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I think it's time I give up rendering... : Re: I think it's time I give up rendering... Server Time
6 Oct 2024 06:08:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I think it's time I give up rendering...
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 12 Feb 2015 13:03:15
Message: <54dceae3$1@news.povray.org>
> When a game will have a ray-tracing display, then we will think to give up.

I don't know. Just because something is ray-traced doesn't automatically
make it look amazing. I remember somebody managed to build a FPGA that
does real-time ray-tracing. They ported the Quake 4 (?) engine to run on
it. The screen-shots looked... rubbish. Because it's ray-tracing flat
polygons with bilinear textures and no bump-maps.

*We* think of ray-tracing as the ultimate in realism more because we're
rendering implicit surfaces and area lights and diffuse
inter-reflections. If you take a regular game engine (which ONLY renders
flat polygons) and ray-trace that... it doesn't actually look much
different, TBH.