POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A programmer's etymology Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:37:00 EDT (-0400)
  A programmer's etymology (Message 1 to 10 of 27)
From: Anthony D  Baye
Subject: A programmer's etymology
Date: 23 Jul 2014 02:20:01
Message: <web.53cf52adaaf53cca1538d4890@news.povray.org>
How well do you know your bugs?

bohrbug: a good, solid, bug.  named for the Bohr model of atomic structure.
bohrbugs do not change their behavior and are relatively easily detected.

hindenbug: a bug with catastrophic behavior.

heisenbug: a software bug that seems to disappear when one attempts to study it.

programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

mandelbug: a bug whose causes are so complex as to defy remediation, or one
which demonstrates seemingly chaotic or even non-deterministic behavior.

I hope you find these as amusing as I did.

Regards,
A.D.B.

Post a reply to this message

> bohrbug: a good, solid, bug.  named for the Bohr model of atomic structure.
> bohrbugs do not change their behavior and are relatively easily detected.
>
> hindenbug: a bug with catastrophic behavior.
>
> heisenbug: a software bug that seems to disappear when one attempts to study it.
>

> programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.
>
> mandelbug: a bug whose causes are so complex as to defy remediation, or one
> which demonstrates seemingly chaotic or even non-deterministic behavior.
>

> I hope you find these as amusing as I did.
>
> Regards,
> A.D.B.

I might steal a few of those.