POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A programmer's etymology : Re: A programmer's etymology Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:16:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A programmer's etymology
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 24 Jul 2014 03:07:39
Message: <53d0b0bb$1@news.povray.org>
On 24/07/2014 06:06 AM, Warp wrote:
> Orchid Win7 v1<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> automated code obfuscation system we run our code through
>
> I think this is the real WTF.

The idea is to make it less trivial to reverse-engineer our code and
steal all our secrets.

...which is interesting, really. We make software for idiots. Idiots
generally aren't the type of people you'd expect to be
reverse-engineering computer software. Our software doesn't *do*
anything particularly complicated; it just puts a user-friendly GUI in
front of a bunch of existing tools. That might *sound* easy, but it's
actually surprisingly time-consuming.

Really, if you want to copy our product, it would be quicker to look at
what it does and write your own one from scratch than to try to figure
out how ours works internally. The most likely scenario is somebody
wanting to reverse-engineer our stuff just to disable the license checks.

All the obfuscater actually does is to take every class and rename all
it's methods to A(), B(), C(), etc. And insert lots of complicated flow
control into the method's actual code. It appears in this instance, it
accidentally (!!) renamed two events to the same thing. Oops...