POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Any Ideas Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:19:48 EDT (-0400)
  Any Ideas (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: H  Karsten
Subject: Any Ideas
Date: 19 Feb 2013 21:05:01
Message: <web.51242ec38e8c086aa3bfeb720@news.povray.org>
Any ideas to that?

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'perpetuum-motion.gif' (481 KB)

Preview of image 'perpetuum-motion.gif'
perpetuum-motion.gif

From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Re: Any Ideas
Date: 19 Feb 2013 22:16:13
Message: <51243ffd$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/19/2013 7:02 PM, H. Karsten wrote:
> Any ideas to that?

Uh.. Such a system is not possible, for multiple reasons:

1. No way to isolate it. Basically, unless the machine if the only thing
in its own universe (and we can't say for sure even this would help),
quantum mechanics, no matter how well you isolate the system, will
either introduce energy to it, where it doesn't help, of "rob" the
system of energy, which it needs.

2. To move something you need to expend energy. So, every time your
"matter" hits, it loses some of the energy. In this particular context,
it means that the "state" of the matter needs to be taken into account,
with respect to if the conductor has anything to move, and how far it
moves. It doesn't matter what sort of "super conductor" you might apply,
the energy being used has the same "potential" as whatever you get from
the converter, but its not the same identical electrons, etc. Rather,
you take in the matter, convert it to electrical current, which
"jostles" an electron out of place, with jostles another, etc, up the
chain, until the last one in the chain gets "pushed", into what ever the
energy to matter converter thing does. Depending on distance, even in a
perfect conductor (again, not possible), there are hundreds, to
thousands, or interactions, any one of which, due to quantum effects,
simply won't "conduct" that specific electron in the right direction, or
at all.

Basically, every stage in the system either needs external energy, or,
even if "perfect", in the closest sense we can, but the laws of our
universe, make such a thing, will "expend" some tiny bit more energy,
but simple quantum instabilities, than the prior stage had it in to
start with.

So.. Its kind of a nonsense question, since the answer is, "What ever
extra energy was already there, but, unless this thing is on a planet,
and "gravity" is somehow involved, its going to slow down, and, at some
point, just stop.

Post a reply to this message

From: H  Karsten
Date: 19 Feb 2013 22:25:01
Message: <web.512441a53b4ed32ca3bfeb720@news.povray.org>
Ahh.. better

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'super-compuctator.gif' (505 KB)

Preview of image 'super-compuctator.gif'
super-compuctator.gif

From: clipka
Date: 19 Feb 2013 23:09:32
Message: <51244c7c@news.povray.org>
Am 20.02.2013 03:02, schrieb H. Karsten:
> Any ideas to that?

"...what energy is turning the wheel"?

None, because it won't work that way.

Superconductors don't conduct energy - they conduct electrons, which
/are/ matter.

As such, they have a mass, and this mass needs to be lifted up against
gravity in the left part of the image.

That aside, let's look at what would happen /if/ pure energy was
conducted (let's say in the form of electromagnetic waves, i.e.
photons), and /if/ we could convert energy to matter and back at will:

Note that the blue "converter" is a bit closer to the source of gravity,
meaning that the gravitational field is stronger there. Stronger
gravitational field, however, means time dilation: Any process happening
at the blue "converter" is a tiny bit slower than at the red one.

Also note that the energy of a single photon depends on its frequency:
The higher the frequency, the more energetic the photon is.

Now let's assume the blue "converter" emits energy in the form of a
Photon at 1 GHz towards the red "converter".

But due to time dilation down at the blue "converter", from the
perspective of the red one the frequency isn't 1 GHz: Rather, it might
be something like 0.9999999999 GHz.

Thus, when the energy arrives at the red "converter", it isn't as much
as the blue one sent out.

If we then convert the energy into matter, and let it fall free back
towards the blue "converter", by the time it hits the converter its
kinetic energy will equival exactly the amount lost during the "upward"
transfer.

If we don't allow the matter to fall free, and instead try to drive a
wheel with it, the matter will be slowed in its fall, so that when it
hits the blue "converter" again it will not have fully compensated for
the "upward" loss.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 20 Feb 2013 00:13:47
Message: <51245b8b$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 22:23:17 -0500, H. Karsten wrote:

> Ahh.. better

Noted the correction on "cunducter", but it's "conductor". ;)

Jim