POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : povray to Objective-C: game dev environments Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:21:09 EDT (-0400)
  povray to Objective-C: game dev environments (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: gregjohn
Subject: povray to Objective-C: game dev environments
Date: 24 Oct 2012 14:50:00
Message: <web.508837682131635747b8a80e0@news.povray.org>
1) OpenGLES (hand-coding)
2) cocos3d
3) GLKit
4) SceneKit
5) Adobe Flash and Flash Develop (cartoony 2.5D feel as in "Kingdom Rush")
6) Box2D

I've started tinkering with iPhone programming, and wonder if any other povvers
have experimented with the 3D systems available for iOS.  I myself am very
fluent in making complex scenes (don't laugh!!) in povray, but have no formal
OpenGL or object-oriented programming language. I've done a bit of reading on
the various systems out there and wondering which of these would have the
shortest learning curve to it from povray?

I don't care about the "Objective-C" learning curve as much as I do the loss of
"povray common sense", or the stability of the platform.  One of them (SceneKit/
GLKit) was mentioned in a WWDC talk where the creator implied he'd make it
available 'till he got bored with it.

Post a reply to this message

> I've started tinkering with iPhone programming, and wonder if any other povvers
> have experimented with the 3D systems available for iOS.  I myself am very
> fluent in making complex scenes (don't laugh!!) in povray, but have no formal
> OpenGL or object-oriented programming language. I've done a bit of reading on
> the various systems out there and wondering which of these would have the
> shortest learning curve to it from povray?

Well, if all you care is making a 3D game, you should check Unity.

http://unity3d.com/

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message