POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : "If you didn't pay for it, you're being sold." Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:22:45 EDT (-0400)
  "If you didn't pay for it, you're being sold." (Message 61 to 70 of 80)
From: Cousin Ricky
Subject: Re: "If you didn't pay for it, you're being sold."
Date: 7 Oct 2011 23:50:01
Message: <web.4e8fc7d89c45ade278641e0c0@news.povray.org>
> On 10/7/2011 11:55, Jim Henderson wrote:
> > I would agree.  I define it as "advertising I didn't ask for".
>
> All advertising is advertising you didn't ask for. Otherwise it's product
> literature. :-)

I agree.

> I would say (for example) that most "junk mail" would be spam.

But junk mail doesn't come postage due.  It doesn't add to the cost of postal
services.

> But someone
> standing in the door of the store handing out coupons good in that store for
> products you may or may not be there to buy wouldn't be spam. The server
> telling you the specials of the day is advertisement but not spam. (Unless
> the special of the day is spam, of course.)

Do you mean "Spam" with a capital "S"?

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 8 Oct 2011 00:26:30
Message: <4e8fd0f6@news.povray.org>
On 10/7/2011 20:42, Jim Henderson wrote:
> What's going to get me to buy them (as I did yesterday) is that I have a
> need for them.  Then I'm going to look for something that fits my needs.

That fails for things that you didn't know about.  New TV shows advertised
on TV. Games on sale on Steam. Trailers for movies when you're at the
movies. Etc.

> Coupons are a bit different to me - if they're for stores I shop at.  I
> don't mind getting Costco coupons, for example, because we have a
> membership there and we spend a fair amount of money there.  So it's good
> to know what's on sale and what's going to be on sale (since they
> actually will tend to ring the coupons regardless of whether or not you
> bring them in or not).

And that's what I'm saying. For you, the effort of looking thru the coupons
for stuff you don't want is outweighed by the slight likelihood that you'll
get a coupon for something you do want. It's less than $1 cost to find the
$1 off coupon.

> But in general, I'm in the camp of "I hate all forms of advertising". :)

I dislike most of it, to the point where I stopped watching TV for many
years, and even now watch maybe one or two shows a week sometimes. That
doesn't mean I consider it "spam" instead of advertising.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?

Post a reply to this message