POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : "If you didn't pay for it, you're being sold." Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:22:18 EDT (-0400)
  "If you didn't pay for it, you're being sold." (Message 51 to 60 of 80)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: "If you didn't pay for it, you're being sold."
Date: 7 Oct 2011 15:09:00
Message: <4e8f4e4c$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/10/2011 7:55 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 09:19:03 +0100, Stephen wrote:
>
>> Since I don’t buy anything in response to targeted advertising. I would
>> say spam is all unsolicited mail, whether it is electronic, snail mail
>> or just pops through your letter box.
>
> I would agree.  I define it as "advertising I didn't ask for".

And phone calls. I've been getting a spate of them recently about
accidents that I’ve never had.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 7 Oct 2011 15:16:59
Message: <4e8f502b$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 20:08:57 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> On 07/10/2011 7:55 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 09:19:03 +0100, Stephen wrote:
>>
>>> Since I don’t buy anything in response to targeted advertising. I
>>> would say spam is all unsolicited mail, whether it is electronic,
>>> snail mail or just pops through your letter box.
>>
>> I would agree.  I define it as "advertising I didn't ask for".
>>

> And phone calls. I've been getting a spate of them recently about
> accidents that I’ve never had.

Oh, there's a special circle of hell for telemarketers.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 7 Oct 2011 15:20:21
Message: <4e8f50f5@news.povray.org>
On 07/10/2011 8:16 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:

>> And phone calls. I've been getting a spate of them recently about
>> accidents that I’ve never had.
>
> Oh, there's a special circle of hell for telemarketers.

And r-e-c-o-r-d-e-d –a-n-n-o-u-n-c-e-m-e-n-t-s.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Date: 7 Oct 2011 15:28:13
Message: <4e8f52cd$1@news.povray.org>
Le 07/10/2011 20:52, Jim Henderson nous fit lire :

>>> That's not what you said, though, you said it *needs* GPS to exist.  It
>>> doesn't need it, it's just a very useful tool so they know where they
>>> are without resorting to other methods.
>>>

>> You're sending a missile.  You put an AI in the missile to stop and ask
>> the local villagers where something is?
>
> Laser guided missiles.

Issue: you can fire only one missile per laser lambda... or they might
hit the same target and forget others.

At the power needed for the laser, there is not a lot of lambda available.

Not a bomb-carpet... just a single shot every few minutes. Now, that's a
battlefield!

And to paint with laser, you usually need some vulnerable proxy
(airplane or commando)

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 7 Oct 2011 17:02:50
Message: <4e8f68fa@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 21:28:13 +0200, Le_Forgeron wrote:

>>> You're sending a missile.  You put an AI in the missile to stop and
>>> ask the local villagers where something is?
>>
>> Laser guided missiles.
>>

> Issue: you can fire only one missile per laser lambda... or they might
> hit the same target and forget others.

True.

> At the power needed for the laser, there is not a lot of lambda
> available.
>
> Not a bomb-carpet... just a single shot every few minutes. Now, that's a
> battlefield!
>
> And to paint with laser, you usually need some vulnerable proxy
> (airplane or commando)

Given that it's going to be destroyed, you paint whatever it is that you
want to be blown to smithereens.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 7 Oct 2011 17:03:55
Message: <4e8f693b@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 20:20:18 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> On 07/10/2011 8:16 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>>> And phone calls. I've been getting a spate of them recently about
>>> accidents that I’ve never had.
>>
>> Oh, there's a special circle of hell for telemarketers.
>>
> And r-e-c-o-r-d-e-d –a-n-n-o-u-n-c-e-m-e-n-t-s.

Yes indeed.

And phone scammers.  In fact, that's a different circle than the one for
'mere' telemarketers.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 7 Oct 2011 18:37:18
Message: <4e8f7f1e@news.povray.org>
On 10/7/2011 0:54, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> The real interest of GPS is low flying cruise missiles

I understood that the original reason for encrypting the low-order bits was
to guard against enemy ICBMs being targetted directly on top of friendly
silos. The thought was that if you're lost at sea, getting accuracy to
100m-200m would get you in sight of where you want to be, so it was good
enough for GPS.
--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 7 Oct 2011 18:40:45
Message: <4e8f7fed@news.povray.org>
On 10/7/2011 11:55, Jim Henderson wrote:
> I would agree.  I define it as "advertising I didn't ask for".

All advertising is advertising you didn't ask for. Otherwise it's product
literature. :-)

I would say (for example) that most "junk mail" would be spam. But someone
standing in the door of the store handing out coupons good in that store for
products you may or may not be there to buy wouldn't be spam. The server
telling you the specials of the day is advertisement but not spam. (Unless
the special of the day is spam, of course.)

I don't think you can take someone who says "I hate all forms of all
advertising" and use their opinions to base "good advertising vs bad
advertising" discussions.

From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 7 Oct 2011 18:45:00
Message: <web.4e8f7fc99c45ade278641e0c0@news.povray.org>

Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> That's new to me.

I wouldn't doubt it, though.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 7 Oct 2011 23:42:07
Message: <4e8fc68f@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 15:40:43 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> On 10/7/2011 11:55, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> I would agree.  I define it as "advertising I didn't ask for".
>
> All advertising is advertising you didn't ask for. Otherwise it's
> product literature. :-)

Exactly.  I tend not to buy stuff based on advertising, if I want (for
example) some USB flash drives, I go looking for information.  Bombarding
me with advertising about Sandisk or Kingston flash drives isn't going to
get me to buy them.

What's going to get me to buy them (as I did yesterday) is that I have a
need for them.  Then I'm going to look for something that fits my needs.

And as Costco had a 3-pack of 8 GB flash drives for about $40, that's
what I ended up buying.

> I would say (for example) that most "junk mail" would be spam. But
> someone standing in the door of the store handing out coupons good in
> that store for products you may or may not be there to buy wouldn't be
> spam. The server telling you the specials of the day is advertisement
> but not spam. (Unless the special of the day is spam, of course.)
>
> I don't think you can take someone who says "I hate all forms of all
> advertising" and use their opinions to base "good advertising vs bad
> advertising" discussions.

Coupons are a bit different to me - if they're for stores I shop at.  I
don't mind getting Costco coupons, for example, because we have a
membership there and we spend a fair amount of money there.  So it's good
to know what's on sale and what's going to be on sale (since they
actually will tend to ring the coupons regardless of whether or not you
bring them in or not).

But in general, I'm in the camp of "I hate all forms of advertising". :)

Jim