POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : E-Ink madness Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:25:00 EDT (-0400)
  E-Ink madness (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: nemesis
Subject: E-Ink madness
Date: 20 Jun 2011 10:05:00
Message: <web.4dff52b071a373b5352a052d0@news.povray.org>
http://www.eink.com/rugged.html

they truly put the eInk display included in a special Esquire magazine under
some heavy stress...

BTW, nextgen eInk is in color, got some nice refresh rates and is expect to
powerup nextgen Kindle, Nook and other eReaders so as they can counter iPad,
iTards and LCDs alike... of course, I expect displaying movies and animations is
not expected to be its main use, otherwise one of the main features of eInk --
low power consumption (it only uses power when it needs to refresh a page -- is
lost.  But reference short clips in an Encyclopedia ebook, schoolbooks,
magazines and newspapers would be welcome additions, I guess.

Post a reply to this message

> they truly put the eInk display included in a special Esquire magazine under
> some heavy stress...
>
> BTW, nextgen eInk is in color, got some nice refresh rates and is expect to
> powerup nextgen Kindle, Nook and other eReaders so as they can counter iPad,
> iTards and LCDs alike... of course, I expect displaying movies and animations is
> not expected to be its main use, otherwise one of the main features of eInk --
> low power consumption (it only uses power when it needs to refresh a page -- is
> lost.  But reference short clips in an Encyclopedia ebook, schoolbooks,
> magazines and newspapers would be welcome additions, I guess.

Uh.. Old news. Nook is already using it. Kindle.. is sitting on their
asses, so far, trying to work out what to put into the new one...
Bastards! (Think you can guess which I got a few months back.)

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 21 Jun 2011 17:24:53
Message: <4e010c25$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 14:08:18 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:

> On 6/20/2011 7:01 AM, nemesis wrote:
>> http://www.eink.com/rugged.html
>>
>> they truly put the eInk display included in a special Esquire magazine
>> under some heavy stress...
>>
>> BTW, nextgen eInk is in color, got some nice refresh rates and is
>> expect to powerup nextgen Kindle, Nook and other eReaders so as they
>> can counter iPad, iTards and LCDs alike... of course, I expect
>> displaying movies and animations is not expected to be its main use,
>> otherwise one of the main features of eInk -- low power consumption (it
>> only uses power when it needs to refresh a page -- is lost.  But
>> reference short clips in an Encyclopedia ebook, schoolbooks, magazines
>> and newspapers would be welcome additions, I guess.
>>

> Uh.. Old news. Nook is already using it. Kindle.. is sitting on their
> asses, so far, trying to work out what to put into the new one...
> Bastards! (Think you can guess which I got a few months back.)

Well, yeah, but the destruction and durability is pretty impressive.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 21 Jun 2011 18:38:12
Message: <4e011d54$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/21/2011 14:08, Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Uh.. Old news. Nook is already using it.

It would only be old news if Nook was actually using color e-ink.

 > Kindle.. is sitting on their asses,

Since color e-ink is not in production yet, it's hard to say they're sitting
on their asses, methinks.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like

Post a reply to this message

From: posfan12
Date: 21 Jun 2011 18:45:00
Message: <web.4e011ecdcc75c4a662ad7fb0@news.povray.org>
What I want is a single display that stretches to whatever size fits your needs.
There was a commercial on TV where a guy had one of these (not real of course).

Closest thing I've seen is a phone that docks into a keyboard & monitor combo so
you can use it like a PC.

No, that's not close at all.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 21 Jun 2011 19:15:38
Message: <4e01261a$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/21/2011 15:44, posfan12 wrote:
> What I want is a single display that stretches to whatever size fits your needs.

I'll take one that folds up into a phone-sized package and unfolds to a
newspaper size.

From: nemesis
Date: 21 Jun 2011 20:30:00
Message: <web.4e013647cc75c4a9a1bcfb90@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] npgcablecom>
> Uh.. Old news. Nook is already using it.

Nook Color uses LCD.

> Kindle.. is sitting on their
> asses, so far, trying to work out what to put into the new one...
> Bastards! (Think you can guess which I got a few months back.)

since you already bought, no reason to be pissed with either of them... :p

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 21 Jun 2011 20:30:01
Message: <web.4e013779cc75c4a9a1bcfb90@news.povray.org>
> On 6/21/2011 15:44, posfan12 wrote:
> > What I want is a single display that stretches to whatever size fits your needs.
>
> I'll take one that folds up into a phone-sized package and unfolds to a
> newspaper size.
>
> --
> Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
>    "Coding without comments is like
>     driving without turn signals."

That'd be awesome indeed.  And swiping over letters in a virtual keyboard would
prove faster than handwriting.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 22 Jun 2011 04:11:32
Message: <4e01a3b4$1@news.povray.org>
On 22/06/2011 12:15 AM, Darren New wrote:
> On 6/21/2011 15:44, posfan12 wrote:
>> What I want is a single display that stretches to whatever size fits
>> your needs.
>
> I'll take one that folds up into a phone-sized package and unfolds to a
> newspaper size.

Yeah, stretching would be hard. There are apparently technologies in the
lab that enable you to print "electronic paper" that is foldable though.
Trouble is, it tends to wear out far too fast to be useful. I gather
they're working on that...

Post a reply to this message

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 23 Jun 2011 01:33:58
Message: <4e02d046$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/21/2011 3:38 PM, Darren New wrote:
> On 6/21/2011 14:08, Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> Uh.. Old news. Nook is already using it.
>
> It would only be old news if Nook was actually using color e-ink.

Ah, see. Wasn't aware of which tech was being used in the nook. Just
noticed it was out very close to the same time as the announcement.
There *is* some sort of device in Asia that does though.