POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 'Nuther design contest site Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:17:21 EDT (-0400)
  'Nuther design contest site (Message 11 to 16 of 16)
From: Kevin Wampler
Subject: Re: 'Nuther design contest site
Date: 24 Mar 2011 15:39:32
Message: <4d8b9df4$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/24/2011 4:34 AM, gregjohn wrote:

> Thanks for the link: inspiring.  Interestingly, these show exactly the problem.
> I have been living in areas of massive light pollution for decades and so I have
> no real idea of what space looks like anymore. We have the Hubble images
> available to us, which provide a "ridiculous" number of stars that you know the
> human eye cannot see.  So that created problems for me in deciding how to do CG
> space scenes: how many stars are actually seen out there?

I occasionally go to areas in the desert where there is *very* little
light pollution, so I searched for a picture online which conveyed what
it looks like.  Unfortunately I wasn't able to find anything, and I
think the reason is because of the high dynamic range of the human eye.

In a real night sky in dry clear air and without light pollution there
are a *lot* of stars, but most of them are very faint with a gradual
gradation to a smaller number of significantly brighter stars.  This
appears to just be really hard to convey with three 8-bit color channels
or on a standard monitor.

On the bright side, at least you can stop worrying about getting the
number of stars in a CG image correct and just blame any inaccuracies
the limitations of images/monitors.!

Post a reply to this message