POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 'Nuther design contest site : Re: 'Nuther design contest site Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:11:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 'Nuther design contest site
From: Warp
Date: 25 Mar 2011 05:30:17
Message: <4d8c60a8@news.povray.org>
Nekar Xenos <nek### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> I thought stars aren't supposed to show up in shots like this. Now I'm
> confused

  I think you are confused about the reason why stars aren't usually
visible in photos in outer space. It's not that they are impossible to
photograph. It's about exposure time. Stars are so small and dim that
they need a longer exposure time than when photographing a sunlit surface
(such as a sunlit spacecraft or the day side of the Earth).

  (You could use the longer exposure time when photographing sunlit
surfaces, in which case the stars would become visible, but then the
sunlit surface would become completely overexposed.)

--
                                                          - Warp