POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : VR Server Time
8 Jul 2024 08:47:13 EDT (-0400)
  VR (Message 1 to 10 of 26)
From: Nekar Xenos
Subject: VR
Date: 6 Apr 2015 10:08:35
Message: <op.xwob71hcufxv4h@xena>
I recently heard about Steam's new VR headset, the HTC Vive and it was
sounding like it may be better than the Occulus Rift
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leg2gS6ShZw

And then I came accross this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qym11JnFQBM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6sL_5Wgvrg

The way she was modifying the fuel tank on the bike is the way I would
love to do 3d modeling. The possibilities seem endless.

I'm a bit scared of what the price could be for something like this
though. And I do hope they have a good cooling system.

--
-Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message

> I recently heard about Steam's new VR headset, the HTC Vive and it was
> sounding like it may be better than the Occulus Rift
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leg2gS6ShZw
>
> And then I came accross this:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qym11JnFQBM
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6sL_5Wgvrg
>
> The way she was modifying the fuel tank on the bike is the way I would
> love to do 3d modeling. The possibilities seem endless.

I believe that the way you can manipulate nurbs is like this, only with
a mouse or a digital pen of course. I can do something similar with Silo
using soft selections. I am sure Blender users have something to say
about this.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 07 Apr 2015 09:26:21 +0200, Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg>
wrote:

> On 6-4-2015 16:08, Nekar Xenos wrote:
>> I recently heard about Steam's new VR headset, the HTC Vive and it was
>> sounding like it may be better than the Occulus Rift
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leg2gS6ShZw
>>
>> And then I came accross this:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qym11JnFQBM
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6sL_5Wgvrg
>>
>> The way she was modifying the fuel tank on the bike is the way I would
>> love to do 3d modeling. The possibilities seem endless.
>
> I believe that the way you can manipulate nurbs is like this, only with
> a mouse or a digital pen of course. I can do something similar with Silo
> using soft selections. I am sure Blender users have something to say
> about this.

It's not 100% what I would want, but it's moving in the right direction.

Maybe a better description of what I would want would be "air sculpting".
I would want to sculpt the "hologram" with my hands.

--
-Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message

Am 07.04.2015 um 20:16 schrieb Nekar Xenos:

> Maybe a better description of what I would want would be "air
> sculpting". I would want to sculpt the "hologram" with my hands.

AFAIK there already exists such software for the Oculus Rift / Leap
Motion combo.

Post a reply to this message

> On Tue, 07 Apr 2015 09:26:21 +0200, Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg>
> wrote:
>
>> On 6-4-2015 16:08, Nekar Xenos wrote:
>>> I recently heard about Steam's new VR headset, the HTC Vive and it was
>>> sounding like it may be better than the Occulus Rift
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leg2gS6ShZw
>>>
>>> And then I came accross this:
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qym11JnFQBM
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6sL_5Wgvrg
>>>
>>> The way she was modifying the fuel tank on the bike is the way I would
>>> love to do 3d modeling. The possibilities seem endless.
>>
>> I believe that the way you can manipulate nurbs is like this, only
>> with a mouse or a digital pen of course. I can do something similar
>> with Silo using soft selections. I am sure Blender users have
>> something to say about this.
>>

> It's not 100% what I would want, but it's moving in the right direction.
>
> Maybe a better description of what I would want would be "air
> sculpting". I would want to sculpt the "hologram" with my hands.

I wonder however if that could yield as precise results. The promotion
film is too slick for that. :-)

The main problem I see presently is with the goggles. I fear that they
will result in neck cramps and associated headaches... Now, when they
will come up with a holodeck...

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

> Am 07.04.2015 um 20:16 schrieb Nekar Xenos:
>
>> Maybe a better description of what I would want would be "air
>> sculpting". I would want to sculpt the "hologram" with my hands.
>
> AFAIK there already exists such software for the Oculus Rift / Leap
> Motion combo.

Well, how useful is it?

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

On 08/04/2015 08:30, Thomas de Groot wrote:

> I wonder however if that could yield as precise results. The promotion
> film is too slick for that. :-)

It is too slick for me too.
Alarm bells ring when I think that it is too good to be true. Because it
will be too good to be true.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>> Am 07.04.2015 um 20:16 schrieb Nekar Xenos:
>>
>>> Maybe a better description of what I would want would be "air
>>> sculpting". I would want to sculpt the "hologram" with my hands.
>>
>> AFAIK there already exists such software for the Oculus Rift / Leap
>> Motion combo.
>
> Well, how useful is it?

Needs work I think (haven't tested the Oculus Rift end of it yet). But
it clearly demonstrates that the technology is there already.

Post a reply to this message

Am 08.04.2015 um 09:30 schrieb Thomas de Groot:

> The main problem I see presently is with the goggles. I fear that they
> will result in neck cramps and associated headaches... Now, when they
> will come up with a holodeck...

No need to worry about neck cramps. Their project seems to be intended
to be yet a deal more lightweight than the Oculus Rift, and the DK2
doesn't give me neck issues at all, even with prolonged use.

Post a reply to this message

>>> AFAIK there already exists such software for the Oculus Rift / Leap
>>> Motion combo.
>>
>> Well, how useful is it?
>
> Needs work I think (haven't tested the Oculus Rift end of it yet). But
> it clearly demonstrates that the technology is there already.

I hope the consumer version is out before then. I'll be a tester. :-)

--

Regards
     Stephen