POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tha past seven years. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:13:17 EDT (-0400)
  Tha past seven years. (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Shay
Subject: Tha past seven years.
Date: 22 Apr 2012 00:51:14
Message: <op.wc5g4djemdfjsk@localhost.localdomain>
Taken from a letter to Jim Charter, who is doing very well. Thought I'd
post this bit here. I haven't been absent quite that long.

Seven years ago, I had been in the Caterpillar parts business with my
father for six years. During that time, he went through a treatment for
hepatitis C. Thanks to $1500 a month in medicine, he is among the "rare
subset of individuals"[1] to beat the disease physically, but the
experience wore him down mentally. Only in his early 50s at the time, he
(consciously? unconsciously?) made the decision to retire. I was left with
the decision to either abandon or take out loans and "marry" the parts
business. At 31, I felt too young to be trapped in an office and tied to a
telephone. I bailed.

I schemed with a younger friend, who was having career problems of his own
(mid 20s, failure-to-launch, mumblecore type), to run away to the
oilfield. A customer from the parts business was friends with a VP at a
Houston oil company. He thought I was crazy, but he promised to help get
us hired. The younger friend bailed (he works at the Apple Store now).

So I went to the oilfield fit and eager. I had a punk rock band and buzzed
off green hair. When I landed on the rig, the rig manager met me in the
briefing room, asked me to remove my hat, and said about my hair, "That's
a career-limiting mistake there." I laughed, "Career? I don't want a
career. I want to be a roustabout!"

We hadn't gotten off to a good start, but my work ethic quickly won him
over. I was getting paid about $45k to sweep, mop, and paint, jobs I'd
done earlier in my life for $27 dollars a day. I had offers, but no
intention to "move up" even to roughneck. I used to council new hires to
"'Just say NO' to promotion!" Still, I was within months offered a chance
to train for a barge engineer job (typically takes years to be
considered), and common sense, at least for the moment, took over long
enough for me to accept.

That didn't work out. Contract negotiations with the Saudi oil company to
which the rig was contracted resulted in all but a few American's being
left behind when the rig went overseas.

I did get to ride the tow-ship as far as Africa. It had been a life-long
ambition to work my way across the ocean. I read "Moby Dick" for the third
time during the journey.

I came back with nowhere to go but a land rig. I had plenty of money in
the bank and plenty of prospects. I decided to try life on a land rig and
leave if it didn't suit me. It was terrible. My lifestyle differences are
too great for me to live with rednecks. Offshore was easy; there was no
alcohol, and we all ate in a galley. On a land rig, my not drinking or
eating Hot Pockets made the other's suspicious.

But I stayed. I wasn't sure why at first, but in time came to understand
consciously that an environments effects your past as much as it does your
present or future. I liked living with my hobo past. I like to feel like a
laborer. And my home life was extraordinary. I had two weeks of vacation a
month. So much time to nap on the bayous, ride my bicycles, have tiny
adventures.

Things changed two years ago. I was working some extra time on a rig that
was only 35 minutes from my house. One day, when we got off, a man from
the safety department was waiting to train us on some new forms. He
offered to read the training presentation himself or allow us to read it
individually. I asked if he would let /me/ read it. He allowed this and I,
wanting to get home, read the presentation /very/ quickly. The safety man
pulled out his phone and recorded my "speed-reading."

I shortly returned to my usual assignment hundreds of miles away, but the
safety man came back looking for me. He tracked me down and offered me a
job with the safety department. I didn't know what the job was or what it
paid, but, on a whim, I said, "Sure. When to I start?" It wasn't that
easy. Took almost a year to get into the department, but I eventually did.

I wasn't well liked on the land rig. I was even hated by some. But I was
loved by the safety department. My work ethic again impressed. I was
traveling between rigs and doing inspections. In addition to merely
finding problems, I took it upon myself to correct them, and that often
meant shoveling, hammering, and lifting, things no one had ever seen a
"safety man" do. After a year (we're now up to last February), I was
offered a job in the office.

Now 38, I still feel too young to work in an office, but my time traveling
in the safety department through motels on land and redneck galleys
offshore has taken a physical toll. I have had to eat a lot of shit, and
this assault on my devout atheist principles has become an obsession. The
office is only six miles away, so I can ride my bicycle, and I'm home most
nights. Carrie Ann is, in theory, glad to have me there but sill getting
used to sharing the house. Work moves very slowly in the office. Too many
meetings.
-----

It was in my new capacity as HSE Compliance Coordinator that I was flying
out to a rig Monday with six others (All above me. One a VP) to confront a
problem rig on their own turf. One of the six was the rig manager who
confronted me about my green hair seven years ago. At the heliport, he
held up an issue of "Teen Vogue" with a blue-haired girl on the cover and
smiled at me. As you know[2], the green hair story was all but retired by
the end of the day. He has a better story to tell about me now. The seven
of us made an extraordinary entrance at the rig when we crashed into the
water only a few feet from it. Thanks to the experience of the pilot, we
were all able to escape, but the helicopter is in two pieces on the bottom
of the Gulf of Mexico.

TGIF?

-Shay

[1] Play on something Jim had said.

[2] I had just contacted Jim before getting on the helicopter: "I've been
working on a short story ... Would you be willing to give it a read? I'm
about to get into a helicopter, but I can send it out to you tonight."
Several hours later: "Ha! The helicopter crashed!"

Post a reply to this message

> [...]
> heliport, he held up an issue of "Teen Vogue" with a blue-haired girl on
> the cover and smiled at me. As you know[2], the green hair story was all
> but retired by the end of the day. He has a better story to tell about
> me now. The seven of us made an extraordinary entrance at the rig when
> we crashed into the water only a few feet from it. Thanks to the
> experience of the pilot, we were all able to escape, but the helicopter
> is in two pieces on the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico.
>
> TGIF?
>
> -Shay
>
> [1] Play on something Jim had said.
>
> [2] I had just contacted Jim before getting on the helicopter: "I've
> been working on a short story ... Would you be willing to give it a
> read? I'm about to get into a helicopter, but I can send it out to you
> tonight." Several hours later: "Ha! The helicopter crashed!"

very cool story ... ah to be young a fearless again. great that you took
a chance (job/career change) ... it's turned into and adventure ... eh!
I have my own helicopter story ... had just got out of active service in
the Navy. Reported to reserve unit for first summer service (two weeks)
and the squadron was headed to Whidby Island Washington. I was part of
the crew ferrying the helos up from Alameda NAS. We stopped at Portland
Oregon Air National guard station for refueling. The pilot needed to do
a "hot refuel" ... stop the rotor, fold the blades and then take on fuel
with the turbine still running. As the blade folded it pinched a
hydraulic line and fluid hit the exhaust and ignited. I'm standing in
the cargo door looking up at a fire that spread to the rotor. Well the
safety crew was quick putting out the fire, but the helo now down for
the rest of the two week deployment. It was one of three birds that was
fully mission capable (anti-submarine warfare) so I had to strip out ALL
the ASW electronics and I rode in the back of a cargo plane with the
gear the rest of the way up to Whidby. Then it was an adventure ... in
retrospect I now see the dangerous nature in what we were doing ...
again thanks for sharing your story ... I enjoyed it!

Post a reply to this message