POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interdimensional slices Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:29:51 EDT (-0400)
  Interdimensional slices (Message 6 to 15 of 45)
<<< Previous 5 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Nekar Xenos
Subject: Re: Interdimensional slices
Date: 23 Jul 2013 15:06:03
Message: <op.w0ovcbctufxv4h@xena>
On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 09:38:16 +0200, scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:

>> If you take a horzontal 2d slice of a human being near the center of the

> Sounds correct to me - if you haven't already read Flatland then I
> recommend it:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatland

Very interesting. I will have to read it =)

--
-Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message

From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 23 Jul 2013 15:06:57
Message: <op.w0ovduowufxv4h@xena>
On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 15:29:01 +0200, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

> Nekar Xenos <nek### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> If you take a horzontal 2d slice of a human being near the center of the
>> torso, you will get 3 objects: 2 almost circular objects for the arms
>> and
>> one ovalish shape for the torso. So if a 2d world could coincide with a
>> 3d
>> world, a 2d being on that plane would see 3 objects and could not
>> imagine
>> that it could be one object.
>
>> If we step it all up one dimension, you could have a 3-dimensional slice
>> of 4-dimensional object that would seem to be more than one 3d object to
>> us 3-dimensional beings.
>
> It depends on whether you are seeing a slice or a projection.

Yes. In this case it is a slice.

--
-Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message

From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 23 Jul 2013 16:06:39
Message: <op.w0ox49ezufxv4h@xena>
On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 22:48:15 +0200, Nekar Xenos <nek### [at] gmailcom>
wrote:

If we take a vertical 2D slice of a tin can we get a rectangle.
If we take a horizontal 2D slice of the same tin, we get a rectangle.

So if we have a special shape that I will call a 4D Cylinder when taking
3d slices we can get a sphere or a block depending on which direction it
is being sliced.

So a 4d entity would tell you that that specific sphere and block are the
same thing and any normal human being would think this 4d guy is just
plain crazy ;)

--
-Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 23 Jul 2013 17:14:21
Message: <51eef22d@news.povray.org>
Am 23.07.2013 22:06, schrieb Nekar Xenos:
> On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 22:48:15 +0200, Nekar Xenos <nek### [at] gmailcom>
> wrote:
>
> If we take a vertical 2D slice of a tin can we get a rectangle.
> If we take a horizontal 2D slice of the same tin, we get a rectangle.
>
> So if we have a special shape that I will call a 4D Cylinder when taking
> 3d slices we can get a sphere or a block depending on which direction it
> is being sliced.

Somehow my intuition tells me that depending on how you construct your
4D cylinder you would either get (a) a sphere or a cylinder (by
extruding a 3D-sphere along the 4th dimension), or (b) a cylinder or a
box (by extruding a cylinder along the 4th dimension), but not what you
describe.

After all a sphere is curved in 2 dimensions, so in order to hide all
curvature you'd need 2 extra dimensions, i.e. a 5D space.

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 24 Jul 2013 03:33:31
Message: <51ef834b$1@news.povray.org>
> If we take a vertical 2D slice of a tin can we get a rectangle.
> If we take a horizontal 2D slice of the same tin, we get a rectangle.
>
> So if we have a special shape that I will call a 4D Cylinder when taking
> 3d slices we can get a sphere or a block depending on which direction it
> is being sliced.

You can do it purely from a mathematical point of view if you feel like
it - you can do isosurfaces right? :-)

3D:
A cylinder is x^2+y^2<1 and 0<z<1
If you fix z to 0.5 (your 2D plane) you get a circle.
If you fix x to 0 you get y^2<1 and 0<z<1 (ie a rectangle)

4D:
Try something like x^2+y^2+z^2<1 and 0<w<1
If you fix w=0.5 (your hyper-plane) you get a sphere
If you fix z=0 you get x^2+y^2<1 and 0<w<1 (ie a cylinder)

Or how about x^2+y^2<1 and 0<z<1 and 0<w<1
z=0.5 gives a cylidner
y=0 gives a 3D block

So as clipka says, I don't think there is any 4D shape you can define
that you can "hyper-slice" to get either a block or a sphere. But that
isn't exactly a proof - feel free to experiment, look forward to your
images in p.b.i :-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 24 Jul 2013 04:06:56
Message: <51ef8b20@news.povray.org>
On 23/07/2013 09:06 PM, Nekar Xenos wrote:
> If we take a vertical 2D slice of a tin can we get a rectangle.
> If we take a horizontal 2D slice of the same tin, we get a rectangle.

Try this:

A line is a 1D object. A line has two ends. Ends are points, which are
0D objects.

A square is a 2D object. A square has four edges. Edges are 1D objects.
By extruding a line into a square, you're turning one line into two, and
you're turning the two end-points into additional lines as well.

A cube is a 3D object. A cube has six surfaces. Surfaces are 2D objects.
Again, when you extrude a square into a cube, that one square becomes a
pair of squares, but in addition all four edges become new squares. So
you have 2 + 4 = 6 new surfaces.

Now, come with me on this journey. A 4-cube is a 4D object. If it allows
the pattern above, that means it should have 3D *volumes* as its "faces"
(weird as that sounds). Presumably each one is cube-shaped. It also
means that by extruding a cube into a 4-cube, the original cube becomes
two cubes, and each surface on the original cube becomes an additional,
new cube. That gives us 2 + 6 = 8 cuboid volumes.

A simpler way to work this out: A cube is given by
   -1 <= x <= +1
   -1 <= y <= +1
   -1 <= z <= +1
This defines a 3D region of space. By setting (say) x = -1, we now have
only two degrees of freedom left (y and z). If we choose to fix one
variable, there are three variables to choose, and two values to fix it
to (-1 or +1), giving a total of six possibilities - which is why a cube
has six sides.

We can extend this idea; what if we fix *two* variables? Then only one
degree of freedom remains. Taking this approach, we see that we can pick
two variables out of three - which is equivalent to NOT picking one out
of the three. We can then set each variable to one of two values, for a
total of four combinations. 4 * 3 = 12, and hence a cube has 12
boundaries of the 1D type - i.e., 12 edges.

Fixing all three variables, we have 2^3 = 8 possible combinations, and
sure enough a cube has eight 1D corners.

Taking all this, we see that a hypercube ought to have

   (4 choose 1) * 2^1 = 4 *  2 =  8 volumes
   (4 choose 2) * 2^2 = 6 *  4 = 24 surfaces
   (4 choose 3) * 2^3 = 4 *  8 = 32 edges
   (4 choose 4) * 2^4 = 1 * 16 = 16 corners

Another way of saying all this is that each time you extrude an N-cube
into an (N+1)-cube, the number of K-dimensional things is doubled, and
the number of (K-1)-dimensional things is then added to that.

          |   Points |         Lines |      Squares |       Cubes |
   -------+----------+---------------+--------------+-------------+
   Point  |        1 |               |              |             |
   Line   | 1*2 =  2 |             1 |              |             |
   Square | 2*2 =  4 |  1*2 + 2 =  4 |            1 |             |
   Cube   | 4*2 =  8 |  4*2 + 4 = 12 | 1*2 + 4 =  6 |           1 |
   4cube  | 8*2 = 16 | 12*2 + 8 = 32 | 8*2 + 6 = 24 | 2*1 + 6 = 8 |

Reassuringly, this agrees with the previous calculation.

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 24 Jul 2013 07:48:24
Message: <51efbf08$1@news.povray.org>
Am 24.07.2013 09:33, schrieb scott:

> So as clipka says, I don't think there is any 4D shape you can define
> that you can "hyper-slice" to get either a block or a sphere. But that
> isn't exactly a proof - feel free to experiment, look forward to your
> images in p.b.i :-)

Well, I'm actually pretty sure there are such shapes - but they would be
too irregular to deserve being called a "4D cylinder".

Post a reply to this message

From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 24 Jul 2013 14:54:46
Message: <op.w0qphho1ufxv4h@xena>
On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 23:14:16 +0200, clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:

> Am 23.07.2013 22:06, schrieb Nekar Xenos:
>> On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 22:48:15 +0200, Nekar Xenos <nek### [at] gmailcom>
>> wrote:
>>
>> If we take a vertical 2D slice of a tin can we get a rectangle.
>> If we take a horizontal 2D slice of the same tin, we get a rectangle.
>>
>> So if we have a special shape that I will call a 4D Cylinder when taking
>> 3d slices we can get a sphere or a block depending on which direction it
>> is being sliced.
>
> Somehow my intuition tells me that depending on how you construct your
> 4D cylinder you would either get (a) a sphere or a cylinder (by
> extruding a 3D-sphere along the 4th dimension), or (b) a cylinder or a
> box (by extruding a cylinder along the 4th dimension), but not what you
> describe.
>
> After all a sphere is curved in 2 dimensions, so in order to hide all
> curvature you'd need 2 extra dimensions, i.e. a 5D space.

You're right about the cylinder. I got a bit mixed up between 2 ideas.

I want to find a 4d object that has a cube slice in one place and a sphere
slice in another place.

So I'll start with 2d slices from 3d objects. 3 dimensional space is made
up of 2-d planes stacked on top of each other. The top plane of the object
is a square. The next layer is slightly curved. Each layer is more curved
than the previous. The bottom layer is a perfect circle. The one side is
round and the other side still has corners. An unfinished table leg on a
lathe :)

So shifting the dimensions up we get a cube on the first 3d section of
this "4d table leg" with each cube being curved more than the previous and
the last 3d section is a perfect sphere.

On the first object we can see that the first and last 2d sections look
totally different. But because we can see the whole object, it doesn't
seem strange to us. But because we cannot see into the 4d realm the 4d
table leg can look like a cube if we see the first slice or a sphere if we
see the last slice.

Is this correct now?

--
-Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Date: 24 Jul 2013 16:36:57
Message: <51f03ae9$1@news.povray.org>
Le 24/07/2013 20:54, Nekar Xenos nous fit lire :

> I want to find a 4d object that has a cube slice in one place and a
> sphere slice in another place.

sound like a superellipsoid going from <0,0> to <1,1>
Many paths connect these two slice, including the 3 obvious intermediate
slices: <0.5,0.5>, <1,0> and <0,1>

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 24 Jul 2013 19:07:53
Message: <51f05e49@news.povray.org>
Am 24.07.2013 20:54, schrieb Nekar Xenos:

> I want to find a 4d object that has a cube slice in one place and a
> sphere slice in another place.
>
> So I'll start with 2d slices from 3d objects. 3 dimensional space is
> made up of 2-d planes stacked on top of each other. The top plane of the
> object is a square. The next layer is slightly curved. Each layer is
> more curved than the previous. The bottom layer is a perfect circle. The
> one side is round and the other side still has corners. An unfinished
> table leg on a lathe :)
>
> So shifting the dimensions up we get a cube on the first 3d section of
> this "4d table leg" with each cube being curved more than the previous
> and the last 3d section is a perfect sphere.
>
> On the first object we can see that the first and last 2d sections look
> totally different. But because we can see the whole object, it doesn't
> seem strange to us. But because we cannot see into the 4d realm the 4d
> table leg can look like a cube if we see the first slice or a sphere if
> we see the last slice.
>
> Is this correct now?

Spot-on.

You might imagine a sphere morphing into a cube over time, with time
being the 4th dimension in that picture.

Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 5 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>