POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : C++ Advice Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:32:42 EDT (-0400)
  C++ Advice (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: andrel
Subject: Re: C++ Advice
Date: 26 Sep 2011 16:56:52
Message: <4E80E713.1020303@gmail.com>
On 25-9-2011 19:18, Nekar Xenos wrote:

> I should have said at first that he wants to get into game programming.
> Ultimately he wants to make games for the Nintendo Wii. It's going to be
> a long road....

Are you sure that games programming will still be necessary when he
finishes?

There is also game and character design.

Partly prompted by this: Tomorrow I will be visited by two students who
study game design and one of their teachers. The students will do an
internship in our embryology group. Creating (hopefully animatable)
models of our embryos. Message: You can find knowledge about games in
strange places and you can apply that knowledge in even stranger places.

--
Apparently you can afford your own dictator for less than 10 cents per
citizen per day.

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 22:56:51 +0200, andrel <byt### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> On 25-9-2011 19:18, Nekar Xenos wrote:
>>
>> I should have said at first that he wants to get into game programming.
>> Ultimately he wants to make games for the Nintendo Wii. It's going to be
>> a long road....
>
> Are you sure that games programming will still be necessary when he
> finishes?

He's a Nintendo fan so it will be whatever the equivalent is then...

> There is also game and character design.
>
> Partly prompted by this: Tomorrow I will be visited by two students who
> study game design and one of their teachers. The students will do an
> internship in our embryology group. Creating (hopefully animatable)
> models of our embryos. Message: You can find knowledge about games in
> strange places and you can apply that knowledge in even stranger places.

Games are taking over the world  o_O

--
-Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message

From: Aydan
Date: 27 Sep 2011 09:55:00
Message: <web.4e81d532b0e403513771cd8e0@news.povray.org>
"Nekar Xenos" <nek### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> I should have said at first that he wants to get into game programming.
> Ultimately he wants to make games for the Nintendo Wii. It's going to be a
> long road....
>
> --
> -Nekar Xenos-

Hi,

If he's completely new to programming and OOP, he could start with an object
oriented scripting language like python, for example. The python tutorial is
quite understandable, in my opinion.
Also there's python libraries for graphics (e.g. pyOgre or pyQt) and sound
stuff.

Regards
Aydan