POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is my life easier yet? Server Time
28 Mar 2024 21:49:23 EDT (-0400)
  Is my life easier yet? (Message 9 to 18 of 18)
From: Cousin Ricky
Subject: Re: Is my life easier yet?
Date: 5 Oct 2021 22:19:54
Message: <615d07ca$1@news.povray.org>
On 2021-10-04 7:01 PM (-4), Jim Henderson wrote:
> It sounds like you probably need to do a rebase.  I don't know how to do
> that in git-cola, but basically a pull just pulls the changes from the
> remote repository.  A rebase "is the process of moving or combining a
> sequence of commits to a new base commit. Rebasing is most useful and
> easily visualized in the context of a feature branching workflow." (from
> https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/rewriting-history/git-rebase)
>
> What I might be inclined to do (I work from the CLI) is:
>
>  git stash
>  git pull --rebase
>  git stash pop
>
> Stash puts your changes in a ... stash.  (I know, kinda useless self-
> referential definition).  It sets them aside.  The pull --rebase does the
> rebase, basically making sure you have a clean copy of the upstream repo.
> The stash pop then re-applies the diffs that you stashed.
>
> From there you should be able to do a commit.
>
> Of course, if you're the only one committing to the repo, then it's
> unlikely that the remote repo is out of sync with your local copy.

Thanks.  I think the problem was that I obediently added the description
and license, and that caused the conflict with the local repo.  I just
deleted the GitHub repo and started over.  I figure I can add the
description and license later.

I found this tutorial on YouTube.  I still have questions, but it's been
helpful.

  https://youtu.be/RGOj5yH7evk

Post a reply to this message

On 2021-10-05 10:19 PM (-4), Cousin Ricky wrote:
> On 2021-10-04 7:01 PM (-4), Jim Henderson wrote:
>> It sounds like you probably need to do a rebase.  I don't know how to do
>> that in git-cola, but basically a pull just pulls the changes from the
>> remote repository.  A rebase "is the process of moving or combining a
>> sequence of commits to a new base commit. Rebasing is most useful and
>> easily visualized in the context of a feature branching workflow." (from
>> https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/rewriting-history/git-rebase)
>>
>> What I might be inclined to do (I work from the CLI) is:
>>
>>  git stash
>>  git pull --rebase
>>  git stash pop
>>
>> Stash puts your changes in a ... stash.  (I know, kinda useless self-
>> referential definition).  It sets them aside.  The pull --rebase does the
>> rebase, basically making sure you have a clean copy of the upstream repo.
>> The stash pop then re-applies the diffs that you stashed.
>>
>> From there you should be able to do a commit.
>>
>> Of course, if you're the only one committing to the repo, then it's
>> unlikely that the remote repo is out of sync with your local copy.
>
> Thanks.  I think the problem was that I obediently added the description
> and license, and that caused the conflict with the local repo.  I just
> deleted the GitHub repo and started over.  I figure I can add the
> description and license later.

Damn.  I added a license and readme to GitHub, tried to pull the changes
to my local repo, and it's still giving me exit status 128.  Do I have
to do this rebase thing every time I make a change?  Why does every
simple thing have to be so freaking complicated?

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 05 Oct 2021 23:18:53 -0400, Cousin Ricky wrote:

> On 2021-10-05 10:19 PM (-4), Cousin Ricky wrote:
>> On 2021-10-04 7:01 PM (-4), Jim Henderson wrote:
>>> It sounds like you probably need to do a rebase.  I don't know how to
>>> do that in git-cola, but basically a pull just pulls the changes from
>>> the remote repository.  A rebase "is the process of moving or
>>> combining a sequence of commits to a new base commit. Rebasing is most
>>> useful and easily visualized in the context of a feature branching
>>> workflow." (from
>>> https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/rewriting-history/git-rebase)
>>>
>>> What I might be inclined to do (I work from the CLI) is:
>>>
>>>  git stash git pull --rebase git stash pop
>>>
>>> Stash puts your changes in a ... stash.  (I know, kinda useless self-
>>> referential definition).  It sets them aside.  The pull --rebase does
>>> the rebase, basically making sure you have a clean copy of the
>>> upstream repo.
>>> The stash pop then re-applies the diffs that you stashed.
>>>
>>> From there you should be able to do a commit.
>>>
>>> Of course, if you're the only one committing to the repo, then it's
>>> unlikely that the remote repo is out of sync with your local copy.
>>
>> Thanks.  I think the problem was that I obediently added the
>> description and license, and that caused the conflict with the local
>> repo.  I just deleted the GitHub repo and started over.  I figure I can
>> add the description and license later.
>
> Damn.  I added a license and readme to GitHub, tried to pull the changes
> to my local repo, and it's still giving me exit status 128.  Do I have
> to do this rebase thing every time I make a change?  Why does every
> simple thing have to be so freaking complicated?

A rebase shouldn't be needed every time - how did you add the license/
readme to github?