POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is my life easier yet? : Re: Is my life easier yet? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 23:07:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is my life easier yet?
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 5 Oct 2021 22:19:54
Message: <615d07ca$1@news.povray.org>
On 2021-10-04 7:01 PM (-4), Jim Henderson wrote:
> It sounds like you probably need to do a rebase.  I don't know how to do
> that in git-cola, but basically a pull just pulls the changes from the
> remote repository.  A rebase "is the process of moving or combining a
> sequence of commits to a new base commit. Rebasing is most useful and
> easily visualized in the context of a feature branching workflow." (from
> https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/rewriting-history/git-rebase)
>
> What I might be inclined to do (I work from the CLI) is:
>
>  git stash
>  git pull --rebase
>  git stash pop
>
> Stash puts your changes in a ... stash.  (I know, kinda useless self-
> referential definition).  It sets them aside.  The pull --rebase does the
> rebase, basically making sure you have a clean copy of the upstream repo.
> The stash pop then re-applies the diffs that you stashed.
>
> From there you should be able to do a commit.
>
> Of course, if you're the only one committing to the repo, then it's
> unlikely that the remote repo is out of sync with your local copy.

Thanks.  I think the problem was that I obediently added the description
and license, and that caused the conflict with the local repo.  I just
deleted the GitHub repo and started over.  I figure I can add the
description and license later.

I found this tutorial on YouTube.  I still have questions, but it's been
helpful.

  https://youtu.be/RGOj5yH7evk