POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Outsmarting a broken Web interface Server Time
28 Mar 2024 10:47:44 EDT (-0400)
  Outsmarting a broken Web interface (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Cousin Ricky
Subject: Outsmarting a broken Web interface
Date: 9 Sep 2020 20:55:14
Message: <5f597972@news.povray.org>
This post is a test.  It is only a test.

I just changed my Thunderbird character encoding to UTF-8, in the hope
that the Web interface won't overcorrect ISO-8859-1 text and print
things like "Bézier" when it sees "Bézier," and formulas like

   P(t) = (1-t)³*P1 + 3*(1-t)²*t*P2 + 3*(1-t)*t²*P3 + t³*P4

will show correctly, instead of my having to fire up Thunderbird just to
read a message.  Although I prefer a newsreader for posting, the Web
interface is most convenient for reading though the messages.  And maybe
we'll see less "Â Â Â" in replies where there should be just whitespace.

Post a reply to this message

> This post is a test.  It is only a test.
>
> I just changed my Thunderbird character encoding to UTF-8, in the hope
> that the Web interface won't overcorrect ISO-8859-1 text and print
> things like "Bézier" when it sees "Bézier," and formulas like
>
>    P(t) = (1-t)³*P1 + 3*(1-t)²*t*P2 + 3*(1-t)*t²*P3 + t³*P4
>
> will show correctly, instead of my having to fire up Thunderbird just to
> read a message.  Although I prefer a newsreader for posting, the Web
> interface is most convenient for reading though the messages.  And maybe
> we'll see less "Â Â Â" in replies where there should be just whitespace.

Nope, didn't work.  The Web interface is just broken.

Post a reply to this message

> Cousin Ricky<ric### [at] yahoocom>  wrote:
>> This post is a test.  It is only a test.
>>
>> I just changed my Thunderbird character encoding to UTF-8, in the hope
>> that the Web interface won't overcorrect ISO-8859-1 text and print
>> things like "Bézier" when it sees "Bézier," and formulas like
>>
>>     P(t) = (1-t)³*P1 + 3*(1-t)²*t*P2 + 3*(1-t)*t²*P3 + t³*P4
>>
>> will show correctly, instead of my having to fire up Thunderbird just to
>> read a message.  Although I prefer a newsreader for posting, the Web
>> interface is most convenient for reading though the messages.  And maybe
>> we'll see less "Â Â Â" in replies where there should be just whitespace.
> Nope, didn't work.  The Web interface is just broken.

How far can I push the suck?

Post a reply to this message

> > Cousin Ricky<ric### [at] yahoocom>  wrote:
> >> This post is a test.  It is only a test.
> >>
> >> I just changed my Thunderbird character encoding to UTF-8, in the hope
> >> that the Web interface won't overcorrect ISO-8859-1 text and print
> >> things like "Bézier" when it sees "Bézier," and formulas like
> >>
> >>     P(t) = (1-t)³*P1 + 3*(1-t)²*t*P2 + 3*(1-t)*t²*P3 + t³*P4
> >>
> >> will show correctly, instead of my having to fire up Thunderbird just to
> >> read a message.  Although I prefer a newsreader for posting, the Web
> >> interface is most convenient for reading though the messages.  And maybe
> >> we'll see less "Â Â Â" in replies where there should be just whitespace.
> > Nope, didn't work.  The Web interface is just broken.
>
> How far can I push the suck?

Only one level, it seems.  Unless it is Thunderbird that is broken, not the Web
interface.

Post a reply to this message