POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The fish were a bit stale Server Time
29 Apr 2024 15:35:53 EDT (-0400)
  The fish were a bit stale (Message 15 to 24 of 24)
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Subject: Re: The fish were a bit stale
Date: 13 Mar 2019 10:50:00
Message: <web.5c8918869a9de40fa81e3d860@news.povray.org>
> On 1/1/2019 2:48 AM, Stephen wrote:
> > Unfortunately there is not a modeller that will work properly with it
> > nor one in sight.
>
> I kind of have the opposite problem. I can't find a modeling app that
> can be controlled 100% from a text file/script.

What about OpenSCAD:

http://www.openscad.org/
http://forum.openscad.org/

It's open source, available for Linux, BSD, OS X & Windows
- and has a functional programming language.

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Mar 2019 19:03:53
Message: <5c898c59$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 13:42:01 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> On 13/03/2019 11:49, Mike Horvath wrote:
>> On 1/1/2019 2:48 AM, Stephen wrote:
>>> Unfortunately there is not a modeller that will work properly with it
>>> nor one in sight.
>>
>> I kind of have the opposite problem. I can't find a modeling app that
>> can be controlled 100% from a text file/script.
>>

> Have you tried Pov-Ray? ;)

LOL, good answer. :D

From: ingo
Date: 14 Mar 2019 05:07:39
Message: <XnsAA126706649BFseed7@news.povray.org>
in news:5c88ee1e$1@news.povray.org Mike Horvath wrote:

> controlled 100% from a text file/script

Many cad programms allow that i.i.r.c you can run https://brlcad.org/
completely from the command line, or try AutoLisp in AutoCAD ;)

Sculpting through a text interface looks cumbersome, imagine it in front
of this: https://stephaneginier.com/sculptgl/

ingo

Post a reply to this message

should have added, when you get into quad-mesh modeling and subdivisions
you need to do quite a bit of mesh clean ups to prevent all kinds of
degeneration on subdividing. Especially when adding, intersecting and
substracting meshes. Doubt that can be done with a text interface,

ingo

Post a reply to this message

> On 13/03/2019 11:49, Mike Horvath wrote:
>> On 1/1/2019 2:48 AM, Stephen wrote:
>>> Unfortunately there is not a modeller that will work properly with it
>>> nor one in sight.
>>
>> I kind of have the opposite problem. I can't find a modeling app that
>> can be controlled 100% from a text file/script.
>>

> Have you tried Pov-Ray? ;)

I'm looking for something that renders LEGO faster than POV-Ray.

For instance Yafaray or SunFlow.

Haven't figured out what the workflow should be though.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

> Sculpting through a text interface looks cumbersome, imagine it in front
> of this: https://stephaneginier.com/sculptgl/

Oh! Interesting one, this!

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

On 14/03/2019 11:31, Mike Horvath wrote:
> On 3/13/2019 9:42 AM, Stephen wrote:
>>>
>>> I kind of have the opposite problem. I can't find a modeling app that
>>> can be controlled 100% from a text file/script.
>>>

>> Have you tried Pov-Ray? ;)
>>

> I'm looking for something that renders LEGO faster than POV-Ray.
>
> For instance Yafaray or SunFlow.
>
> Haven't figured out what the workflow should be though.

I think Blender would fit the bill. You can script it using Python.
A tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhbxq07CB2U

https://www.google.com/search?-b-d&q=blender+lego

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> I think Blender would fit the bill. You can script it using Python.
> A tutorial
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhbxq07CB2U

That is not using Python. BTW

--