POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Security issue of news.povray.org Server Time
27 Apr 2024 10:32:26 EDT (-0400)
  Security issue of news.povray.org (Message 1 to 10 of 33)
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Security issue of news.povray.org
Date: 10 Sep 2018 02:47:30
Message: <5b961382@news.povray.org>
I usually use Thunderbird to read and write messages. Crashing of
Thunderbird while loading a too heavy image made me go and log in to the
site directly as I wanted to reply. The warning I got was that the
connection to news.povray.org was not secure, which made me hesitate to
go on.

I wonder if this should not be corrected in view of the state of the
(internet) world nowadays. Lack of the basic site protections feels
wrong (and threatening) and particularly outdated.

What do you think?

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

> I usually use Thunderbird to read and write messages. Crashing of
> Thunderbird while loading a too heavy image made me go and log in to the
> site directly as I wanted to reply. The warning I got was that the
> connection to news.povray.org was not secure, which made me hesitate to
> go on.
>
> I wonder if this should not be corrected in view of the state of the
> (internet) world nowadays. Lack of the basic site protections feels
> wrong (and threatening) and particularly outdated.
>
> What do you think?
>
> --
> Thomas

I think you need to show some RFID-embedded biometric-enhanced ID, pal.

This doesn't sound like the Devil-may-care, swashbuckling TdG, _I_ know...

Somebody log this joker's IP and check on the REAL TdG.

:-P

Do we really need HTTPS?

Post a reply to this message

>> I usually use Thunderbird to read and write messages. Crashing of
>> Thunderbird while loading a too heavy image made me go and log in to the
>> site directly as I wanted to reply. The warning I got was that the
>> connection to news.povray.org was not secure, which made me hesitate to
>> go on.
>>
>> I wonder if this should not be corrected in view of the state of the
>> (internet) world nowadays. Lack of the basic site protections feels
>> wrong (and threatening) and particularly outdated.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> --
>> Thomas
>
> I think you need to show some RFID-embedded biometric-enhanced ID, pal.
>
> This doesn't sound like the Devil-may-care, swashbuckling TdG, _I_ know...
>
> Somebody log this joker's IP and check on the REAL TdG.

He only swashbuckles in safe environments.

> :-P
>
> Do we really need HTTPS?

At the dawn of the Big Data era. It pays to be careful.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 10 Sep 2018 07:13:02
Message: <5b9651be@news.povray.org>
On 10-9-2018 12:28, Bald Eagle wrote:
>> I usually use Thunderbird to read and write messages. Crashing of
>> Thunderbird while loading a too heavy image made me go and log in to the
>> site directly as I wanted to reply. The warning I got was that the
>> connection to news.povray.org was not secure, which made me hesitate to
>> go on.
>>
>> I wonder if this should not be corrected in view of the state of the
>> (internet) world nowadays. Lack of the basic site protections feels
>> wrong (and threatening) and particularly outdated.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> --
>> Thomas
>
> I think you need to show some RFID-embedded biometric-enhanced ID, pal.

Nah. That would blow up the site.

> This doesn't sound like the Devil-may-care, swashbuckling TdG, _I_ know...
>
> Somebody log this joker's IP and check on the REAL TdG.

That's what I mean: that swashbuckling one is phony to the core! Trust
me, I know ;-)

> :-P
>
> Do we really need HTTPS?

More than ever imo. Or better, as HTTPS is also being taken over
gradually by the dark side.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Cason
Date: 10 Sep 2018 07:20:42
Message: <5b96538a$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/09/2018 16:47, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> I usually use Thunderbird to read and write messages. Crashing of
> Thunderbird while loading a too heavy image made me go and log in to the
> site directly as I wanted to reply. The warning I got was that the
> connection to news.povray.org was not secure, which made me hesitate to
> go on.
>
> I wonder if this should not be corrected in view of the state of the
> (internet) world nowadays. Lack of the basic site protections feels
> wrong (and threatening) and particularly outdated.

Thanks for pointing this out. Indeed we don't have SSL enabled for the
news server as our current three-name cert is maxed out. I've set in
motion an application for a wildcard cert and when I get that I'll add
news to the SSL configuration.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Date: 10 Sep 2018 09:30:00
Message: <web.5b967106ee91e94dc437ac910@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:

> He only swashbuckles in safe environments.

Oh, I thought all that padding in his room was ...  nevermind.

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Cason
Date: 10 Sep 2018 10:32:36
Message: <5b968084$1@news.povray.org>
Folks,

SSL access to the forums is now enabled: https://news.povray.org/

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 10 Sep 2018 10:51:52
Message: <5b968508$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/09/2018 14:26, Bald Eagle wrote:
> Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
>
>> He only swashbuckles in safe environments.
>
> Oh, I thought all that padding in his room was ...  nevermind.

For comfort, I believe. ;)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 10 Sep 2018 12:46:46
Message: <5b969ff6$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 06:28:42 -0400, Bald Eagle wrote:

> Do we really need HTTPS?

Using Thunderbird, that'd be NNTP over SSL, rather than HTTPS.

Since the server doesn't require authentication, using SSL with NNTP
doesn't really make a huge difference.

Jim

From: Kenneth
Date: 10 Sep 2018 14:20:06
Message: <web.5b96b4daee91e94da47873e10@news.povray.org>
> Folks,
>
> SSL access to the forums is now enabled: https://news.povray.org/
>
> -- Chris

Great news, thanks.

But I just tried the link using Firefox (Sept 10, 2:13pm EST in the US) and it
doesn't load ("the connection has timed out.") I tried it twice.