POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Old threads Server Time
11 May 2024 16:10:12 EDT (-0400)
  Old threads (Message 17 to 26 of 26)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Old threads
Date: 24 Jul 2018 11:43:24
Message: <5b57491c$1@news.povray.org>
Am 24.07.2018 um 17:34 schrieb Chris Cason:
> On 25/07/2018 01:27, clipka wrote:
>> Um... yeah... I guess ;)
>>
>> Now what we need is some elegant way to /get/ that link from any given
>> message.
>
> From the web view, just right-click on the message ID underneath the
> date and copy the link.

Unfortunately the message ID is only visible in the thread view, not the
single-message view.

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 24 Jul 2018 11:45:20
Message: <5b574990$1@news.povray.org>
Am 24.07.2018 um 11:45 schrieb Chris Cason:
> You mean like this? http://news.povray.org/5b56ede4$1@news.povray.org

BTW, did you just set this up, or has it always been around?

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Cason
Date: 24 Jul 2018 11:50:22
Message: <5b574abe$1@news.povray.org>
On 25/07/2018 01:27, clipka wrote:
>> What I'm saying basically is that when this machine eventually has to be
>> replaced and I replace the OS and everything with shiny new bits, it's
>> likely the NNTP server will not be part of it and we'll migrate
>> everything to some sort of standard forum software (or just keep the
>> existing one without the NNTP link).
>
> You mean the web interface without newsreader access?
> That would be pathologically perverse. The only advantage of the current
> system over a modern(!) web-based forum system I see is the newsreader
> access. (Well, that and the vast archive of existing messages.) The web
> front-end of the current system is maximally crappy by today's standards.

Yep, which is why my first preference was for standard forum software,
however that involves a fair bit of work if we want to preserve history
(which I definitely do).

While I could import all the old messages one way or another,
associating them with their original authors (in terms of account setup)
is a bit of a nightmare given that the NNTP interface requires no auth.

Realistically apart from messages known to be posted by those with
logins on the current web interface all the old messages would be
considered 'orphaned' and auto-assigned to dummy accounts, as modern
forum software doesn't really understand the concept of allowing random
people to post messages without accounts :-/

An alternate option is to split the forums into 'old' and 'new' and run
a process which generates a set of static HTML pages from the existing
web view just prior to shutting it down. The static pages can then serve
as a permanent, read-only archive.

While the above is probably the most logical option it's probably only
acceptable if I can ensure the new forum's search function works across
both sets of data.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

> Am 24.07.2018 um 11:45 schrieb Chris Cason:
>> You mean like this? http://news.povray.org/5b56ede4$1@news.povray.org
>
> BTW, did you just set this up, or has it always been around?

It's been there for as long as I can remember. I'd have to check the
change history in perforce to see exactly when but it'd be at least ten
years.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message