POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Origin of Yankee Server Time
27 Apr 2024 17:07:40 EDT (-0400)
  Origin of Yankee (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Origin of Yankee
Date: 3 Jul 2018 02:53:41
Message: <5b3b1d75$1@news.povray.org>
Following the hint by BaldEagle, I looked up the etymology of
'Yankee'. I am in doubt about the Dutch origin supposed by some sites,
and prefer the explanation given by Merriam-Webster:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Yankee

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

> Following the hint by BaldEagle, I looked up the etymology of
> 'Yankee'. I am in doubt about the Dutch origin supposed by some sites,
> and prefer the explanation given by Merriam-Webster:
>
> https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Yankee
>
> --
> Thomas

I hesitate to cite a Hollywood movie, but in Last of the Mohicans, northern
Mohawks who spoke French referred to the English speaking colonists as Yingees.
At the time, I wondered if Yankee derived from that usage,

JimT

Post a reply to this message

I'm still fascinated that no one has any idea about the origin of the term for a
metal disk with a hole being called a "washer".

Post a reply to this message