POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : SEED Server Time
3 May 2024 07:37:20 EDT (-0400)
  SEED (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Mike Horvath
Subject: SEED
Date: 22 Mar 2018 07:56:34
Message: <5ab399f2$1@news.povray.org>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81E9yVU-KB8

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Re: SEED
Date: 22 Mar 2018 07:57:36
Message: <5ab39a30$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/22/2018 7:56 AM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81E9yVU-KB8

Also this:

From: Kenneth
Date: 22 Mar 2018 19:35:00
Message: <web.5ab43d5c9cd992f1a47873e10@news.povray.org>
> On 3/22/2018 7:56 AM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81E9yVU-KB8
>
> Also this:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81E9yVU-KB8

Those game demos are really impressive-- using DirectX 12 and some kind of new
raytracing API. But it got me thinking about *how* this real-time raytracing
technique works-- given that GPUs are not suitable for speeding up raytracing
calculations (based on lots of past comments here in the newsgroups, anyway.)
Apparently, only *some* aspects of the game's visuals make use of this new
API+GPU strategy, the remainder relying on the usual rasterization techniques
(AFAIU). Take a look here...

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/03/microsoft-announces-the-next-step-in-gaming-graphics-directx-raytracing/

Post a reply to this message

> Mike Horvath <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> On 3/22/2018 7:56 AM, Mike Horvath wrote:
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81E9yVU-KB8
>>
>> Also this:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81E9yVU-KB8
>
> Those game demos are really impressive-- using DirectX 12 and some kind of new
> raytracing API. But it got me thinking about *how* this real-time raytracing
> technique works-- given that GPUs are not suitable for speeding up raytracing
> calculations (based on lots of past comments here in the newsgroups, anyway.)
> Apparently, only *some* aspects of the game's visuals make use of this new
> API+GPU strategy, the remainder relying on the usual rasterization techniques
> (AFAIU). Take a look here...

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/03/microsoft-announces-the-next-step-in-gaming-graphics-directx-raytracing/

As I understand it, GPUs have advanced far enough that there's no longer
a show-stopper preventing POV-Ray from making use of GPUs for rendering
scenes. It's *only* (LOL!) a matter of rewriting POV-Ray from scratch so
that similar rays are bundled together and processed in batches. Or
something.

http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3Cweb.568aea3fed87f78dadb2e4f80%40news.povray.org%3E/

Mike