POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : We need new image maps for Jupiter Server Time
18 May 2024 06:45:54 EDT (-0400)
  We need new image maps for Jupiter (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Stephen
Subject: We need new image maps for Jupiter
Date: 26 May 2017 06:10:40
Message: <5927ff20$1@news.povray.org>

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: We need new image maps for Jupiter
Date: 26 May 2017 07:00:36
Message: <59280ad4$1@news.povray.org>
On 26-5-2017 12:10, Stephen wrote:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-40053527

Indeed we do. Fascinating science in progress. Nice ring photo too.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Date: 26 May 2017 10:55:00
Message: <web.5928415c29a3db4883fb31c0@news.povray.org>
That Juno-probe photo looking straight down at Jupiter's pole is truly CREEPY!
The level of detail is amazing.

It's fascinating to think that Earth's atmosphere would look somewhat similar to
Jupiter's swirling gas clouds, if we had a similar opague atmosphere. Good thing
we don't have ammonia and hydrogen sulfide here, instead of oxygen/nitrogen; for
one thing, it would smell really bad ;-P

Post a reply to this message

> It's fascinating to think that Earth's atmosphere would look somewhat similar to
> Jupiter's swirling gas clouds, if we had a similar opague atmosphere. Good thing
> we don't have ammonia and hydrogen sulfide here, instead of oxygen/nitrogen; for
> one thing, it would smell really bad ;-P

Actually no, it wouldn't.

Hydrogen sulfide only stinks at low concentrations.

At high concentrations, it literally kills your sense of smell even
before you notice it.

Post a reply to this message

Le 26/05/2017 à 16:53, Kenneth a écrit :

> That Juno-probe photo looking straight down at Jupiter's pole is truly CREEPY!
> The level of detail is amazing.
>
> It's fascinating to think that Earth's atmosphere would look somewhat similar to
> Jupiter's swirling gas clouds, if we had a similar opague atmosphere. Good thing
> we don't have ammonia and hydrogen sulfide here, instead of oxygen/nitrogen; for
> one thing, it would smell really bad ;-P

Ammonia is just NH3, plenty of nitrogen and hydrogen.

We have one chance: plenty of oxygen to make water, strongly reducing
the amount of available hydrogen for ammonia.

Post a reply to this message

>> It's fascinating to think that Earth's atmosphere would look somewhat similar to
>> Jupiter's swirling gas clouds, if we had a similar opague atmosphere. Good thing
>> we don't have ammonia and hydrogen sulfide here, instead of oxygen/nitrogen; for
>> one thing, it would smell really bad ;-P
>
> Actually no, it wouldn't.
>
> Hydrogen sulfide only stinks at low concentrations.

Actually, I like the smell of H2S. It makes me feel hungry. To me it
smells of boiled eggs not rotten eggs.

> At high concentrations, it literally kills your sense of smell even
> before you notice it.

Then it kills you.
Not many people know, because it was hushed up, that three men were
killed on the Brent Spar by H2S.
One man collapsed in a vessel and when two others went into it to rescue
him. They too were overcome. (Late 70's or early 80's, I think)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

Here is another story that might be of interest to some.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-40050903/see-the-world-through-adventurers-eyes

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Date: 26 May 2017 13:00:01
Message: <web.59285e4929a3db4883fb31c0@news.povray.org>
> Am 26.05.2017 um 16:53 schrieb Kenneth:
> >
> > ...for one thing, it would smell really bad ;-P
>
> Actually no, it wouldn't.
>
> Hydrogen sulfide only stinks at low concentrations.

That's enough for me! ;-P

Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Date: 26 May 2017 13:15:00
Message: <web.5928623429a3db4883fb31c0@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:

> Actually, I like the smell of H2S. It makes me feel hungry. To me it
> smells of boiled eggs not rotten eggs.

Well, I guess 'relative smelliness' is in the eye of the beholder... uh, I mean,
nose...

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 26 May 2017 13:42:26
Message: <59286902@news.povray.org>
On 5/26/2017 6:14 PM, Kenneth wrote:
> Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
>

>> Actually, I like the smell of H2S. It makes me feel hungry. To me it
>> smells of boiled eggs not rotten eggs.
>>

> Well, I guess 'relative smelliness' is in the eye of the beholder... uh, I mean,
> nose...

:)
That is true.
I've worked with it quite a bit testing and calibrating gas detectors.
Mostly on my own. ;)

--

Regards
     Stephen