POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : KDE and the Unix philosophy Server Time
18 May 2024 04:46:08 EDT (-0400)
  KDE and the Unix philosophy (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Cousin Ricky
Subject: KDE and the Unix philosophy
Date: 31 Mar 2017 01:16:04
Message: <58dde614$1@news.povray.org>
Microsoft assumes that the users don't know what they're doing.  Unix
famously assumes that the users *do* know what they're doing.
Sometimes, two casualties of the latter assumption are the principle of
least astonishment and the principle of least damage.  (That's why the
very first thing I did after I installed GNU/Linux was to alias the cp,
mv, and rm commands in my .bashrc.)

I had quite a few KWrite windows open to various files I was working on,
most of them POV-Ray files.  Somehow or another, I clicked on something
wrong somewhere, and every single last one of my windows instantly
vanished, before I knew what had even happened.

I find KDE far easier to navigate than recent Microsoft Windows
desktops.  (Why is it that every time Microsoft makes its products more
user friendly, I find them more difficult to use than ever?)  But KDE
has its quirks.  Like discarding the clipboard when I close a document.
(Or maybe not; I haven't figured out the rules.)  Or allowing me to
close multiple windows by accident.  I've lost multiple active console
sessions this way.

Dammit, I can't remember everything I was working on.  And KWrite's
"recent documents" algorithm operates in nonlinear time.  Maybe if I
rewatch the movie _Arrival_, they will all come back to me.

Post a reply to this message

On 3/31/2017 6:16 AM, Cousin Ricky wrote:
> Microsoft assumes that the users don't know what they're doing.  Unix
> famously assumes that the users *do* know what they're doing. Sometimes,
> two casualties of the latter assumption are the principle of least
> astonishment and the principle of least damage.  (That's why the very
> first thing I did after I installed GNU/Linux was to alias the cp, mv,
> and rm commands in my .bashrc.)
>
> I had quite a few KWrite windows open to various files I was working on,
> most of them POV-Ray files.  Somehow or another, I clicked on something
> wrong somewhere, and every single last one of my windows instantly
> vanished, before I knew what had even happened.

Nightmare. :(

> I find KDE far easier to navigate than recent Microsoft Windows
> desktops.  (Why is it that every time Microsoft makes its products more
> user friendly, I find them more difficult to use than ever?)

They are not for technical products, now. They are for consumer units.
It is a different way of thinking. And a very annoying way, to my way of
thinking.

> But KDE
> has its quirks.  Like discarding the clipboard when I close a document.
> (Or maybe not; I haven't figured out the rules.)  Or allowing me to
> close multiple windows by accident.  I've lost multiple active console
> sessions this way.

Phew! back to the day's of DOS.

I'm going to stick with Win7 for as long as I can.

> Dammit, I can't remember everything I was working on.  And KWrite's
> "recent documents" algorithm operates in nonlinear time.  Maybe if I
> rewatch the movie _Arrival_, they will all come back to me.

It can't do any harm.

--

Regards
     Stephen