POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : KDE and the Unix philosophy : KDE and the Unix philosophy Server Time
1 Jun 2024 15:58:41 EDT (-0400)
  KDE and the Unix philosophy
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 31 Mar 2017 01:16:04
Message: <58dde614$1@news.povray.org>
Microsoft assumes that the users don't know what they're doing.  Unix
famously assumes that the users *do* know what they're doing.
Sometimes, two casualties of the latter assumption are the principle of
least astonishment and the principle of least damage.  (That's why the
very first thing I did after I installed GNU/Linux was to alias the cp,
mv, and rm commands in my .bashrc.)

I had quite a few KWrite windows open to various files I was working on,
most of them POV-Ray files.  Somehow or another, I clicked on something
wrong somewhere, and every single last one of my windows instantly
vanished, before I knew what had even happened.

I find KDE far easier to navigate than recent Microsoft Windows
desktops.  (Why is it that every time Microsoft makes its products more
user friendly, I find them more difficult to use than ever?)  But KDE
has its quirks.  Like discarding the clipboard when I close a document.
(Or maybe not; I haven't figured out the rules.)  Or allowing me to
close multiple windows by accident.  I've lost multiple active console
sessions this way.

Dammit, I can't remember everything I was working on.  And KWrite's
"recent documents" algorithm operates in nonlinear time.  Maybe if I
rewatch the movie _Arrival_, they will all come back to me.