POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dr John Server Time
1 Jul 2024 01:56:24 EDT (-0400)
  Dr John (Message 21 to 30 of 50)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Dr John
Date: 5 Dec 2016 14:02:42
Message: <5845b9d2$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 05 Dec 2016 15:36:04 +0100, clipka wrote:

>>> By that I gather you you do not listen to I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue,
>>> on the radio?
>>
>> Correct. My human AI powers deduced that to play you simply name a tube
>> station and insert some rambling about why you chose that station. But
>> I also deduced it's futile to ask about any rules...
>
> The rules are well-known and easily available. Don't pretend you're
> unable to get hold of a copy.
>
> Also, enquiring about the rules during a game may get you into huff,
> under the Blum-Micail and Park-Miller variants.

:thumbsup:

:)

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 5 Dec 2016 14:04:17
Message: <5845ba31$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 05 Dec 2016 07:05:15 +0000, Stephen wrote:

>> Well, I'm not the one who forgot that the diagonals were open in that
>> game. ;)
>>

> My point exactly.

I forgot to note the 'air quotes' in there....

"I'm not the one who 'forgot' that the diagonals [...]"

That's more what I meant.  That kind of forgetting only comes with
experience. ;)

>>> True, mostly in bedlam. :P
>>
>> Well, I can't argue that. :D
>>

> No you can't. (It counts towards my community order.)

Remind us again, what was it you got the community order for?

>>> Without more contestants it would be like playing /Solitaire Bridge/.
>>
>> True.  Though we did have a few occasional players who dropped in on
>> the game, too.  But to work well, you really need a minimum of 3, and
>> preferably 4.
>>

> Or 5 for the chair to calm down the bickering. That's his job.

Well, true - as long as the chair doesn't fall asleep.  Then again, we've
never played with an actual referee up here...

Jim

On 12/5/2016 7:04 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Dec 2016 07:05:15 +0000, Stephen wrote:
>
>>> Well, I'm not the one who forgot that the diagonals were open in that
>>> game. ;)
>>>

>> My point exactly.
>
> I forgot to note the 'air quotes' in there....
>
> "I'm not the one who 'forgot' that the diagonals [...]"
>
> That's more what I meant.  That kind of forgetting only comes with
> experience. ;)

As above so below.

>>> Well, I can't argue that. :D
>>>

>> No you can't. (It counts towards my community order.)
>
> Remind us again, what was it you got the community order for?

Can't remind you if I didn't tell you in the first place.

>>> True.  Though we did have a few occasional players who dropped in on
>>> the game, too.  But to work well, you really need a minimum of 3, and
>>> preferably 4.
>>>

>> Or 5 for the chair to calm down the bickering. That's his job.
>
> Well, true - as long as the chair doesn't fall asleep.  Then again, we've
> never played with an actual referee up here...

Never played with a chair before, either. But I am not a bigot so I
don't mind.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> The rules are well-known and easily available. Don't pretend you're
> unable to get hold of a copy.

 From wikipedia:

"The apparent aim is to be the first to announce "Mornington Crescent""

Sounds trivially easy to me :-)

Post a reply to this message

>> The rules are well-known and easily available. Don't pretend you're
>> unable to get hold of a copy.
>
>  From wikipedia:
>
> "The apparent aim is to be the first to announce "Mornington Crescent""
>
> Sounds trivially easy to me :-)

Your hammer is too big. ;)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>> The rules are well-known and easily available. Don't pretend you're
>> unable to get hold of a copy.
>
> From wikipedia:
>
> "The apparent aim is to be the first to announce "Mornington Crescent""
>
> Sounds trivially easy to me :-)

Really?

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 05 Dec 2016 19:48:45 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> On 12/5/2016 7:04 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> "I'm not the one who 'forgot' that the diagonals [...]"
>>
>> That's more what I meant.  That kind of forgetting only comes with
>> experience. ;)
>>

> As above so below.

<gives Stephen a sideways look>

>>> No you can't. (It counts towards my community order.)
>>
>> Remind us again, what was it you got the community order for?
>>
> Can't remind you if I didn't tell you in the first place.

Perhaps you just forgot. ;)

>>> Or 5 for the chair to calm down the bickering. That's his job.
>>
>> Well, true - as long as the chair doesn't fall asleep.  Then again,
>> we've never played with an actual referee up here...
>>
> Never played with a chair before, either. But I am not a bigot so I
> don't mind.

LOL

I have to admit, last night's game made me think of Dr. John.  :(

But Jack was on-point.  I think he's finally reached Humph's level of
chairing, too - his comment about the bagpipes was spot on.

Jim