POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dr John Server Time
28 Jun 2024 22:13:40 EDT (-0400)
  Dr John (Message 11 to 20 of 50)
From: Nekar Xenos
Subject: Re: Dr John
Date: 1 Dec 2016 14:45:31
Message: <58407ddb@news.povray.org>
On 2016/11/28 06:08 PM, Stephen wrote:
> I am sorry to say that John passed away in his sleep last Thursday
> morning. The Kat and the Feegle were at his bedside.
>
> He will be missed by those who knew him.
>
> He asked me to thank everyone who sent their best wishes.
>
> So raise a glass or two in his memory.
>
> Slàinte mhath Dr John

I'm so sorry to hear that.
My sincere condolences.

-Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 2 Dec 2016 02:52:59
Message: <5841285b$1@news.povray.org>
Very sorry to hear that Stephen, I was worried that at some point this
post appear. The long threads you two had together on here never really
did make much sense to me, but you both seemed to be enjoying yourselves
:-) Nice that you were there at his side.

Post a reply to this message

> Very sorry to hear that Stephen, I was worried that at some point this
> post appear.

Me too. :(

> The long threads you two had together on here never really
> did make much sense to me,

By that I gather you you do not listen to I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, on
the radio?

> but you both seemed to be enjoying yourselves

But really It was John and Jim Henderson that played it. I only got
dragged in because I have a rule book and live in Uxbridge, home of the
famous dictionary. :)

> :-) Nice that you were there at his side.

The least I could do for a fellow Pover and drinking companion.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 02 Dec 2016 15:53:45 +0000, Stephen wrote:

>> but you both seemed to be enjoying yourselves
>
> But really It was John and Jim Henderson that played it. I only got
> dragged in because I have a rule book and live in Uxbridge, home of the
> famous dictionary. :)

Oh, you were a full participant and you know it. ;)  You didn't spend
*that* much time in huff.

We might need a game in memoriam sometime early next year.

On 12/2/2016 8:10 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Dec 2016 15:53:45 +0000, Stephen wrote:
>
>>> but you both seemed to be enjoying yourselves
>>
>> But really It was John and Jim Henderson that played it. I only got
>> dragged in because I have a rule book and live in Uxbridge, home of the
>> famous dictionary. :)
>
> Oh, you were a full participant and you know it. ;)

I think that there is some blame spreading here. ;)

> You didn't spend *that* much time in huff.

True, mostly in bedlam. :P

> We might need a game in memoriam sometime early next year.

Without more contestants it would be like playing /Solitaire Bridge/.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> I am sorry to say that John passed away in his sleep last Thursday
> morning. The Kat and the Feegle were at his bedside.
>
> He will be missed by those who knew him.
>
> He asked me to thank everyone who sent their best wishes.
>
> So raise a glass or two in his memory.
>
> Slàinte mhath Dr John

My condolences.

Al least I was an adult when I lost my mother to cancer...  It won't be
easy for his son.

On Sat, 03 Dec 2016 09:19:16 +0000, Stephen wrote:

>>> But really It was John and Jim Henderson that played it. I only got
>>> dragged in because I have a rule book and live in Uxbridge, home of
>>> the famous dictionary. :)
>>
>> Oh, you were a full participant and you know it. ;)
>
> I think that there is some blame spreading here. ;)

Well, I'm not the one who forgot that the diagonals were open in that
game. ;)

>> You didn't spend *that* much time in huff.
>>

> True, mostly in bedlam. :P

Well, I can't argue that. :D

>> We might need a game in memoriam sometime early next year.
>>

> Without more contestants it would be like playing /Solitaire Bridge/.

True.  Though we did have a few occasional players who dropped in on the
game, too.  But to work well, you really need a minimum of 3, and
preferably 4.

Jim

On 12/4/2016 11:36 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Dec 2016 09:19:16 +0000, Stephen wrote:

>>> Oh, you were a full participant and you know it. ;)
>>
>> I think that there is some blame spreading here. ;)
>
> Well, I'm not the one who forgot that the diagonals were open in that
> game. ;)

My point exactly.

>>> You didn't spend *that* much time in huff.
>>>

>> True, mostly in bedlam. :P
>
> Well, I can't argue that. :D

No you can't. (It counts towards my community order.)

>>> We might need a game in memoriam sometime early next year.
>>>

>> Without more contestants it would be like playing /Solitaire Bridge/.
>
> True.  Though we did have a few occasional players who dropped in on the
> game, too.  But to work well, you really need a minimum of 3, and
> preferably 4.

Or 5 for the chair to calm down the bickering. That's his job.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>> The long threads you two had together on here never really
>> did make much sense to me,
>
> By that I gather you you do not listen to I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, on
> the radio?

Correct. My human AI powers deduced that to play you simply name a tube
station and insert some rambling about why you chose that station. But I
also deduced it's futile to ask about any rules...

Post a reply to this message

>>> The long threads you two had together on here never really
>>> did make much sense to me,
>>
>> By that I gather you you do not listen to I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, on
>> the radio?
>
> Correct. My human AI powers deduced that to play you simply name a tube
> station and insert some rambling about why you chose that station. But I
> also deduced it's futile to ask about any rules...

The rules are well-known and easily available. Don't pretend you're
unable to get hold of a copy.

Also, enquiring about the rules during a game may get you into huff,
under the Blum-Micail and Park-Miller variants.