POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Results Server Time
1 Jul 2024 03:15:18 EDT (-0400)
  Results (Message 21 to 30 of 32)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Results
Date: 10 Nov 2016 02:37:51
Message: <582423cf$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/10/2016 5:34 AM, Sherry K. Shaw wrote:
> Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>> If *I* am the one espousing optimism, then
>> maybe hell has finally frozen over!
>
> The Cubs won the World Series.  I said to myself, OMG, this is the first
> sign of the Apocalypse.
>
> This is literally true.  I am neither superstitious nor particularly a
> sports fan, but this was, in fact, the first moment I began to feel fear
> for my country.  How idiotic is that?
>
> It never occurred to me that anyone could bring out the White Trash vote
> to that extent.  (Indeed, many of them, being convicted felons, aren't
> allowed to vote.)
>
> It never occurred to me that anyone who had expressed such hatred of
> Hispanics could ever carry Florida.
>
> It never occurred to me that anyone who had expressed such contempt of
> working people could ever get their vote.

Oh dear! You have said it out loud, Ms Sherry "Too smart for her own
good" Shaw. :)
Now it will come to pass.

The first sign of the apocalypse heralds the coming of what is agreed by
most Christian scholars as an Antichrist whose purpose is to lead the
world astray. Those tricked to follow the false prophecy are trapped in
a cycle of suffering. The second sign is represented by the onset of war
and violence...

The above is a quote btw. Not from "To serve Man". The famous
intergalactic cook book by Damon Knight.

> IIRC, I was five or six years old when I began to suspect that most
> people in the world were irremediably stupid.  And yet, and yet, it
> never occurred to me that they were remotely capable of taking over.

You don't know much about British history, then. ;)

> One may hope for miracles.  A sinkhole could open under Trump Tower and
> consume whatever vermin might be infesting it.  A giant meteor could
> strike the podium on Inauguration Day and rid the world of a number of
> cancers.  Or, or maybe, maybe, a Rift in the Space-Time Continuum could
> open up in my front yard and Lazarus Long and his Magic Starship could
> appear and carry me away to a place where people are intelligent and
> kind, and dogs are revered as brethren and the makers of our species,
> and stupid shit like this Does Not Happen.

You will need to travel a long way to find that place. I fear.

> Bah.  Humbug.  Time to stock up on canned food and ammo.

Luckily, the new administration will help you to buy as many guns as you
can pay for. And then some.

--

Regards
     Stephen