POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : To all on the left side of the pond Server Time
1 Jul 2024 03:37:13 EDT (-0400)
  To all on the left side of the pond (Message 11 to 16 of 16)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: To all on the left side of the pond
Date: 20 Jul 2016 12:10:07
Message: <578fa25f$1@news.povray.org>
Am 20.07.2016 um 17:42 schrieb Doctor John:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/07/20/physicists_show_quantum_weirdness_of_neutrinos_over_longest_distance_yet/

"What gives people pause is, quantum mechanics is quantitatively precise
and yet it comes with all this conceptual baggage," said David Kaiser,
co-author of the study and professor of physics at MIT."

Well, I guess the problem isn't so much the baggage quantum mechanics
comes with, but the baggage our "common sense" comes with.

Anyway, there's a reason Schroedinger chose a cat for his thought
experiment. They're the only animals in the whole wide world that are
indeed /constantly/ in a superposition of different states. (They also
have that natural instinct for how they should be perfectly able to be
on both sides of the front door at once.)

Post a reply to this message

> Anyway, there's a reason Schroedinger chose a cat for his thought
> experiment. They're the only animals in the whole wide world that are
> indeed /constantly/ in a superposition of different states. (They also
> have that natural instinct for how they should be perfectly able to be
> on both sides of the front door at once.)

Indeed, that is also the reason that Schroedinger's reasoning was
faulty. As soon as he closed the lid on the box, the cat was in the
kitchen eating the Sea Bream that Schroedinger was planning to have for
his dinner.

John
--
It's not about bravery.
It's about doing what I need to do to win

Post a reply to this message

On 21/07/2016 3:11 AM, Doctor John wrote:
> On 20/07/16 17:10, clipka wrote:
>> Anyway, there's a reason Schroedinger chose a cat for his thought
>> experiment. They're the only animals in the whole wide world that are
>> indeed /constantly/ in a superposition of different states. (They also
>> have that natural instinct for how they should be perfectly able to be
>> on both sides of the front door at once.)
>>

> Indeed, that is also the reason that Schroedinger's reasoning was
> faulty. As soon as he closed the lid on the box, the cat was in the
> kitchen eating the Sea Bream that Schroedinger was planning to have for
> his dinner.
>
> John

Erwin enters room carrying box.  Cat senses radioactive isotope and
flask of poison.

Erwin looks at cat.

Cat disappears.

Erwin changes experiment to a 'thought experiment'.

Post a reply to this message

On 7/21/2016 7:04 AM, Paul Fuller wrote:

> Erwin enters room carrying box.  Cat senses radioactive isotope and
> flask of poison.
>
> Erwin looks at cat.
>
> Cat disappears.
>
> Erwin changes experiment to a 'thought experiment'.

I like that one. :)

For The Cat a quantum is a unit of luck.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> On 7/21/2016 7:04 AM, Paul Fuller wrote:
>

>> Erwin enters room carrying box.  Cat senses radioactive isotope and
>> flask of poison.
>>
>> Erwin looks at cat.
>>
>> Cat disappears.
>>
>> Erwin changes experiment to a 'thought experiment'.
>
> I like that one. :)
>
> For The Cat a quantum is a unit of luck.

Probably why the Ancient Egyptians who worshipped cats measured things
in 'qubits'.

Post a reply to this message

On 7/21/2016 12:44 PM, Paul Fuller wrote:
> On 21/07/2016 9:14 PM, Stephen wrote:
>> On 7/21/2016 7:04 AM, Paul Fuller wrote:
>>

>>> Erwin enters room carrying box.  Cat senses radioactive isotope and
>>> flask of poison.
>>>
>>> Erwin looks at cat.
>>>
>>> Cat disappears.
>>>
>>> Erwin changes experiment to a 'thought experiment'.
>>
>> I like that one. :)
>>
>> For The Cat a quantum is a unit of luck.
>>

> Probably why the Ancient Egyptians who worshipped cats measured things
> in 'qubits'.

Groan! Boo! Get off the stage. :-)

--

Regards