POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : WebGL Server Time
28 Jul 2024 04:20:04 EDT (-0400)
  WebGL (Message 9 to 18 of 28)
<<< Previous 8 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: scott
Subject: Re: WebGL
Date: 10 Jun 2016 02:59:11
Message: <575a653f$1@news.povray.org>
> In summary, it appears that implementing reflection is mathematically
> impossible. I may perhaps still be able to realise my dream of rendering
> depth of field effects realistically. (Although without a nice detailed
> scene to look at, it might be rather disappointing...)

Obviously it's not, because there are plenty of shadertoy examples
showing it:

https://www.shadertoy.com/view/4ssGWX

Surfaces that reflect *OR* refract are trivial:

for(i=0;i<MAX_TRACE_DEPTH;i++)
{
   intersect = Trace( ray );
   if( REFLECT(intersect) ) ray = ReflectRay(ray , intersect);
   if( REFRACT(intersect) ) ray = RefractRay(ray , intersect);
}

To do surfaces that do both you need to choose randomly at each
intersection which ray to follow (weighted appropriately depending on
the material) and then average over a larger number of samples. You can
either do many samples per frame (but obviously this gets slow for
complex scenes), or what is commonly done is to average over many frames
(and reset the average if the camera is moved). Or both.

Post a reply to this message

>> In summary, it appears that implementing reflection is mathematically
>> impossible. I may perhaps still be able to realise my dream of rendering
>> depth of field effects realistically. (Although without a nice detailed
>> scene to look at, it might be rather disappointing...)
>
> Obviously it's not, because there are plenty of shadertoy examples
> showing it:
>
> https://www.shadertoy.com/view/4ssGWX

Interesting. On my browser, that just crashes.

> Surfaces that reflect *OR* refract are trivial:
>
> for(i=0;i<MAX_TRACE_DEPTH;i++)
> {
> intersect = Trace( ray );
> if( REFLECT(intersect) ) ray = ReflectRay(ray , intersect);
> if( REFRACT(intersect) ) ray = RefractRay(ray , intersect);
> }

The difficulty is figuring out what surface was hit just from the
intersection coordinates. And perhaps a perfect reflection isn't so
hard, but I wanted to have the colour change slightly on each
reflection... but I can't figure out how to stack up the colour changes
until you get to the end of the reflection chain, and then unstack them
again.

> To do surfaces that do both you need to choose randomly at each
> intersection which ray to follow (weighted appropriately depending on
> the material) and then average over a larger number of samples. You can
> either do many samples per frame (but obviously this gets slow for
> complex scenes), or what is commonly done is to average over many frames
> (and reset the average if the camera is moved). Or both.

Still trying to work out how you "average over several frames".
ShaderToy is great fun, but so *utterly* undocumented... it's quite hard
to figure out how to do anything.

Post a reply to this message