POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : WebGL : Re: WebGL Server Time
28 Jul 2024 04:30:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WebGL
From: scott
Date: 10 Jun 2016 03:33:33
Message: <575a6d4d$1@news.povray.org>
> That sounds quite complex. (In particular, it seems to require me to
> actually design a real lens assembly, and implement real refraction.)

Yes I realised that later too, Google didn't seem to throw up any real
data on proper lens design (for pretty obvious reasons), only very
simple examples. Still it might be interesting, and you never know if
you made it slick enough one of the big lens manufacturers may show some
interest in you or your code.

> I was thinking more along the lines of a camera entity that fires rays
> in a pattern that matches a theoretical ideal lens. But I need to figure
> out the equations for that first...

Look through the POV source? :-)

> Yeah, not just a random number per pixel, but *multiple* random numbers!
> Multiple, statistically-independent numbers... This is not trivial.

Exactly, poor RNGs in these sorts of things can cause some bizarre
artefacts.