POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Sunlight Server Time
5 Jul 2024 06:29:59 EDT (-0400)
  Sunlight (Message 14 to 23 of 33)
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Sunlight
Date: 19 Feb 2016 03:13:49
Message: <56c6cebd$1@news.povray.org>
On 18-2-2016 20:08, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>> On 17-2-2016 22:46, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>>> Still, if you point your camera at the sky, or at the water at the right
>>> angle, it still looks moody as hell...
>>
>> These are the most difficult set-ups in photography though, and it is
>> visibly winter, so no real surprise for the mood. It is a real challenge
>> to balance between the brightness of sky and water and the deep shadows
>> around.
>
> You can re-balance it in post. But it turns out you can either have all
> the scenery brightly lit (as it actually appears in the real world), or
> you can have bright sparkles on the water (as it actually appears in the
> real world). But you cannot have both. Make it brighter and the sparkles
> go away. It's not a problem with the camera, it's just the limited
> dynamic range of a computer screen, I guess...

Ahhh... I remember the days when I had to use an analog light meter...
and only know long afterwards what the results would be... ;-)

> I'm quite happy with how these came out though, even if it does make the
> day look *way* darker than it actually was. :-)

Absolutely.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 19 Feb 2016 03:49:16
Message: <56c6d70c$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/19/2016 8:13 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>> You can re-balance it in post. But it turns out you can either have all
>> the scenery brightly lit (as it actually appears in the real world), or
>> you can have bright sparkles on the water (as it actually appears in the
>> real world). But you cannot have both. Make it brighter and the sparkles
>> go away. It's not a problem with the camera, it's just the limited
>> dynamic range of a computer screen, I guess...
>
> Ahhh... I remember the days when I had to use an analog light meter...
> and only know long afterwards what the results would be... ;-)

Was that an extinction meter? :-P

I had one of those when I started photography. Light meters were for
professionals.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> I had one of those when I started photography

It was like the Logaphot extinction meter shown here.

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Light_meter

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>> I had one of those when I started photography
>

> It was like the Logaphot extinction meter shown here.
>
> http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Light_meter

Oh no! I am not as ancient as that! It looked more like this:

http://lavidaleica.com/content/introduction-light-meters

I still must have it somewhere, covered in dust...

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 19 Feb 2016 05:55:40
Message: <56c6f4ac$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/19/2016 9:16 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 19-2-2016 9:51, Stephen wrote:
>> On 2/19/2016 8:49 AM, Stephen wrote:
>>>
>>> I had one of those when I started photography
>>

>> It was like the Logaphot extinction meter shown here.
>>
>> http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Light_meter
>>

> Oh no! I am not as ancient as that! It looked more like this:
>
> http://lavidaleica.com/content/introduction-light-meters
>
> I still must have it somewhere, covered in dust...

Mine is long gone. I was still at school and found it in a junk shop or
a jumble sale. By the time I could afford a SLR, light meters were
incorporated into the camera. A Zenit-E If I remember.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 19 Feb 2016 07:30:20
Message: <56c70adc@news.povray.org>
On 19-2-2016 11:55, Stephen wrote:

> Mine is long gone. I was still at school and found it in a junk shop or
> a jumble sale. By the time I could afford a SLR, light meters were
> incorporated into the camera. A Zenit-E If I remember.

The famous Soviet camera! Yes, I know them from reputation; never owned
one of those. My first "real" cameras were first a Voigtländer Vitoret
(was ruined by salt water) and then a Miranda.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 19 Feb 2016 07:34:08
Message: <56c70bc0@news.povray.org>
...and I still have this one from my father:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:JKRUK_20090116_FOTOAPARAT_VOIGTLANDER_IMG_7557.jpg

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 19 Feb 2016 10:30:55
Message: <56c7352f$1@news.povray.org>
> You can re-balance it in post. But it turns out you can either have all
> the scenery brightly lit (as it actually appears in the real world), or
> you can have bright sparkles on the water (as it actually appears in the
> real world). But you cannot have both.

Take multiple exposures, merge them into a single HDR image, then do
suitable tonemapping to see both the brightly lit scenery and bright
sparkles together.

Or you can get one of those "sparkly light" filters that make even weak
lights sparkle.

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 19 Feb 2016 13:51:55
Message: <56c7644b$1@news.povray.org>
On 19/02/2016 12:29 PM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 19-2-2016 11:55, Stephen wrote:
>
>> Mine is long gone. I was still at school and found it in a junk shop or
>> a jumble sale. By the time I could afford a SLR, light meters were
>> incorporated into the camera. A Zenit-E If I remember.
>>

> The famous Soviet camera! Yes, I know them from reputation; never owned
> one of those. My first "real" cameras were first a Voigtländer Vitoret
> (was ruined by salt water) and then a Miranda.

Just FYI, *my* first camera said Fisher Price on it...

It also had an "interesting" arrangement where the "flash" was a clear
plastic box with 6 strips of magnesium ribbon in it. Once you've taken
six shots, you cannot use the flash again. Ever. And it wasn't exactly a
"cheap" flash either.

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 19 Feb 2016 13:53:29
Message: <56c764a9$1@news.povray.org>
On 19/02/2016 03:30 PM, scott wrote:
>> You can re-balance it in post. But it turns out you can either have all
>> the scenery brightly lit (as it actually appears in the real world), or
>> you can have bright sparkles on the water (as it actually appears in the
>> real world). But you cannot have both.
>
> Take multiple exposures, merge them into a single HDR image, then do
> suitable tonemapping to see both the brightly lit scenery and bright
> sparkles together.

To my untrained eyes, it appears that the only way to make the light
spots look light is to make everything else dark. Not even talking about
the limitations of the camera; the monitor only goes up to 255, 255,
255. It cannot go any brighter. The only way to make stuff look bright
seems to be to make everything else dark. (But you're welcome to try...)

> Or you can get one of those "sparkly light" filters that make even weak
> lights sparkle.

Yeah, I wonder if they still make those...