POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A Matter of Political Incorrectness Server Time
8 Jul 2024 03:17:35 EDT (-0400)
  A Matter of Political Incorrectness (Message 53 to 62 of 82)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: A Matter of Political Incorrectness
Date: 17 Mar 2016 04:47:23
Message: <56ea6f1b$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/16/2016 4:44 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 00:47:14 +0000, Stephen wrote:
>
>> On 3/11/2016 12:17 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>> That was precisely my thought (the latter, not the former;)  )
>>

>> There is a lot of grumbling on this side of the pond at the moment. With
>> drug treatments being not cost effective. So patients die and companies
>> prosper.
>
> Yeah, on this side as well.  And then we have opportunists like Martin
> Shrikeli who take drugs that are affordable and jack the prices up, and
> then justify it by saying the insurance companies cover it *anyways*.

I hope they throw away the key.

> Because insurance company money is free to the consumer, apparently.

I wonder how the world would have turned out if you had a "free at the
point of use" health service.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 17 Mar 2016 04:53:33
Message: <56ea708d$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/16/2016 4:46 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 00:42:14 +0000, Stephen wrote:
>
>> On 3/10/2016 10:46 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>> Quite possibly.  There's a stigma for pot users that somehow people who
>>> drink alcohol or smoke tobacco don't have (though in the US at least,
>>> tobacco users do have more stigma now than, say, 30 years ago).
>>
>> That view seems to have gone here. It is so common place. It might be
>> just the people I meet. There is a lot more tolerance than there was
>> when I was the age to smoke it.
>> Or maybe it's because I live in London - Sin City.
>
> Could be.
>
> The irony is that the criminalization of pot in the US is driven largely
> (but not exclusively) by a party that claims to be about "personal
> responsibility".  There's an irony in that.

Strange isn't it that parties who want a smaller governments are so keen
on passing oppressive laws?

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 17 Mar 2016 08:23:32
Message: <56eaa1c4$1@news.povray.org>
On 17-3-2016 9:53, Stephen wrote:

> Strange isn't it that parties who want a smaller governments are so keen
> on passing oppressive laws?

<grin> You have just played your trump card, partner.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

On 3/17/2016 12:23 PM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 17-3-2016 9:53, Stephen wrote:
>
>> Strange isn't it that parties who want a smaller governments are so keen
>> on passing oppressive laws?
>>

> <grin> You have just played your trump card, partner.

He is not my Trump, the Duck. </Boak>

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 08:53:27 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> On 3/16/2016 4:46 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> That view seems to have gone here. It is so common place. It might be
>>> just the people I meet. There is a lot more tolerance than there was
>>> when I was the age to smoke it.
>>> Or maybe it's because I live in London - Sin City.
>>
>> Could be.
>>
>> The irony is that the criminalization of pot in the US is driven
>> largely (but not exclusively) by a party that claims to be about
>> "personal responsibility".  There's an irony in that.
>>

> Strange isn't it that parties who want a smaller governments are so keen
> on passing oppressive laws?

Yep.

"We want government out of our lives" - and then pass laws that interfere
with women's health issues, have intrusive surveillance, want to weaken
strong encryption, and criminalize things like pot that only generally
affect the user.

Basically, to limit anyone who they feel has a different "morality" than
they do.

There's a word for this, I think....starts with 'h'. ;)

Jim

On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 13:23:00 +0100, Thomas de Groot wrote:

> On 17-3-2016 9:53, Stephen wrote:
>
>> Strange isn't it that parties who want a smaller governments are so
>> keen on passing oppressive laws?
>>

> <grin> You have just played your trump card, partner.

What a terrible, terrible pun.

Jim