POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Desk Management Server Time
3 Jul 2024 01:30:09 EDT (-0400)
  Desk Management (Message 39 to 48 of 48)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Desk Management
Date: 5 Feb 2016 03:22:38
Message: <56b45bce$1@news.povray.org>

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00MVT7AYW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

> What's the use of the colours? looks like gadgetry.

To go with the flashing disco lights on you system box. :-)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 5 Feb 2016 07:38:09
Message: <56b497b1$1@news.povray.org>
On 5-2-2016 9:22, Stephen wrote:
>> On 4-2-2016 20:07, Theogott wrote:
>>> If you choose the multicoloured keyboard for inspiration, it can cost
>>> a few
>>> bucks more ...

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00MVT7AYW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

>> What's the use of the colours? looks like gadgetry.
>>

> To go with the flashing disco lights on you system box. :-)

Useless then.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 5 Feb 2016 07:50:04
Message: <56b49a7c$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/5/2016 12:37 PM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 5-2-2016 9:22, Stephen wrote:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00MVT7AYW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

>>> What's the use of the colours? looks like gadgetry.
>>>

>> To go with the flashing disco lights on you system box. :-)
>>

> Useless then.

Worse than useless a distraction.
I had a pc that had a flashing neon light on a fan.
Snip! snip! and bob's your aunt. :)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 5 Feb 2016 08:05:14
Message: <56b49e0a$1@news.povray.org>
On 5-2-2016 13:49, Stephen wrote:
> On 2/5/2016 12:37 PM, Thomas de Groot wrote:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00MVT7AYW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

>>> To go with the flashing disco lights on you system box. :-)
>>>

>> Useless then.
>>

> Worse than useless a distraction.
> I had a pc that had a flashing neon light on a fan.
> Snip! snip! and bob's your aunt. :)

How terribly horrendous! I hate it when others decide what is good for
you (flashing lights for instance).

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Francois Labreque
Date: 5 Feb 2016 08:55:02
Message: <56b4a9b6$1@news.povray.org>

> On 4-2-2016 20:07, Theogott wrote:
>> If you choose the multicoloured keyboard for inspiration, it can cost
>> a few
>> bucks more ...

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00MVT7AYW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

> What's the use of the colours? looks like gadgetry.

It's to go with your clear case and its neon lights.

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xft1/t51.2885-15/s640x640/sh0.08/e35/12362418_1524224207890655_1490508958_n.jpg

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xpt1/t51.2885-15/s640x640/sh0.08/e35/12353459_775571625903583_1955055891_n.jpg

It's like putting fog lights and a spoiler on your 2002 Nissan Sentra.

From: clipka
Date: 5 Feb 2016 14:18:09
Message: <56b4f571$1@news.povray.org>
Am 05.02.2016 um 09:09 schrieb Thomas de Groot:
> On 4-2-2016 20:07, Theogott wrote:
>> If you choose the multicoloured keyboard for inspiration, it can cost
>> a few
>> bucks more ...

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00MVT7AYW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

> What's the use of the colours? looks like gadgetry.

The purpose of the illumination is, in descending order of importance,

(1) to show off
(2) to see the keys even in almost total darkness
(3) to show off
(4) to remember what mode or profile you've currently set the
programmable keys to
(5) to show off
(6) to remember what type of stuff which key does in the game you're
currently playing
(7) to show off
(8) to remember what combo keys go with a particular key you've just pressed
(9) to show off

For the purpose of (1), (3), (5), (7) and (9) you can set the keyboard
to show all kinds of fancy animations.

For the purpose of (2), you can set the entire keyboard to show a
uniform colour with adjustable brightness. For the purpose of (4), you
can specify the colour on a per-profile or per-mode basis, e.g. for a
roleplay game you might want to use green to indicate that the macro
keys are currently set up for playing as a healer, yellow for a ranged
weapons fighter, red for a melee weapons fighter, and blue for a mage.

For the purpose of (6), you can specify the colour on a per-key basis,
e.g. you might assign blue to movement keys, yellow to keys for
switching weapons, red for attacking, and for non-combat stuff.

For the purpose of (8), the newest generation of keyboards also allow
you to further specify the colour based on what keys you're currently
pressing, or have just pressed a few moments ago.

My no-longer-trusty old G19 catered to (1)-(5).

The Corsair k95 RGB keyboard I expect to be delivered tomorrow will
cater to (1)-(9) and presumably (11) and (13), but the main reason I'm
getting it is the whopping 18 dedicated macro keys. I'm also looking
forward to the ability to re-program not only those dedicated macro
keys, but each and every key I feel like messing with.
Like, say, reprogramming the decimals separator on the numeric keypad to
either "." or "," to match the application I'm currently working with.

Getting fancy illumination with this is ok.

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Date: 5 Feb 2016 19:03:56
Message: <56b5386c$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/5/2016 3:09 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 4-2-2016 20:07, Theogott wrote:
>> If you choose the multicoloured keyboard for inspiration, it can cost
>> a few
>> bucks more ...

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00MVT7AYW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

> What's the use of the colours? looks like gadgetry.

Keyboard lights could be useful for something like this.

http://isometricland.net/keyboard/keyboardchart.php?gam=51&sty=1&lay=1

Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 6 Feb 2016 03:03:41
Message: <56b5a8dd$1@news.povray.org>
On 5-2-2016 20:17, clipka wrote:
> Am 05.02.2016 um 09:09 schrieb Thomas de Groot:
>> On 4-2-2016 20:07, Theogott wrote:
>>> If you choose the multicoloured keyboard for inspiration, it can cost
>>> a few
>>> bucks more ...

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00MVT7AYW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

>> What's the use of the colours? looks like gadgetry.
>
> The purpose of the illumination is, in descending order of importance,
>
> [snip]
>
> Getting fancy illumination with this is ok.

I see that my life is slowly drifting away from the mainstream. I shall
soon be resting in the stagnant backwaters. :-) Fine by me by the way.

If you can give purpose to the lights, then OK of course.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 6 Feb 2016 10:07:54
Message: <56b60c4a$1@news.povray.org>
Am 05.02.2016 um 20:17 schrieb clipka:

> The Corsair k95 RGB keyboard I expect to be delivered tomorrow will
> cater to (1)-(9) and presumably (11) and (13), but the main reason I'm
> getting it is the whopping 18 dedicated macro keys. I'm also looking
> forward to the ability to re-program not only those dedicated macro
> keys, but each and every key I feel like messing with.
> Like, say, reprogramming the decimals separator on the numeric keypad to
> either "." or "," to match the application I'm currently working with.
>
> Getting fancy illumination with this is ok.

A metal casing top is also an interesting feature...

This baby needs some modding though: The light bleeding out from under
the key caps /is/ counter-productive for all purposes except showing off.

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 7 Feb 2016 03:16:12
Message: <56b6fd4c$1@news.povray.org>
On 6-2-2016 16:07, clipka wrote:

> This baby needs some modding though: The light bleeding out from under
> the key caps /is/ counter-productive for all purposes except showing off.

That's what I thought.

--
Thomas