POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Gravitation Server Time
5 Jul 2024 08:17:02 EDT (-0400)
  Gravitation (Message 18 to 27 of 27)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Gravitation
Date: 21 Oct 2015 06:01:14
Message: <5627626a$1@news.povray.org>
> Which is exactly why light appears to "bend" around massive objects.

How does the theory deal with the light potentially having to go faster
than the speed of light (for example when the photons are aimed straight
at the centre of a massive object from afar)? If light always goes at
"c" relative to the local space, and the space is getting distorted,
this would appear to make the light go faster than "c" no?

Post a reply to this message

>> Which is exactly why light appears to "bend" around massive objects.
>
> How does the theory deal with the light potentially having to go faster
> than the speed of light (for example when the photons are aimed straight
> at the centre of a massive object from afar)? If light always goes at
> "c" relative to the local space, and the space is getting distorted,
> this would appear to make the light go faster than "c" no?

No, it would just reduce the distance the light needs to go.

(Also, mass tampers not only with space but also with time.)

Post a reply to this message

>> How does the theory deal with the light potentially having to go faster
>> than the speed of light (for example when the photons are aimed straight
>> at the centre of a massive object from afar)? If light always goes at
>> "c" relative to the local space, and the space is getting distorted,
>> this would appear to make the light go faster than "c" no?
>
> No, it would just reduce the distance the light needs to go.
>
> (Also, mass tampers not only with space but also with time.)

Just when you think you understand it! I thought I just had a vague
recollection of once reading a proposal for faster-than-light travel,
whereby space was distorted infront of and behind the object moving in a

Post a reply to this message