POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Gravitation : Re: Gravitation Server Time
8 Jul 2024 08:16:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gravitation
From: scott
Date: 22 Oct 2015 02:55:46
Message: <56288872$1@news.povray.org>
> btw, there is known experiment about travelling faster than light in a
> medium (is that local space ?): it is possible, and it results in
> Cherenkov radiation.
>
> the void has the ior of 1, to go faster than light in void, you just
> need to find "something" with an ior less than 1. The problem is
> "just"... is there such white crow ?

See my other thread "Random answer..." - AIUI ior less than one doesn't
actually mean the light travels faster than "c" through it, just the
peaks of the waves appear to move faster than "c" through it. It's
relatively easy to convince yourself that if the medium is generating
waves at the correct phase offset from the original source, when
combined with the source wave, it looks like the wave is going faster
than light through the medium.

>> Just when you think you understand it! I thought I just had a vague
>> recollection of once reading a proposal for faster-than-light travel,
>> whereby space was distorted infront of and behind the object moving in a
>> certain way. But maybe it was Asimov that wrote it :-)
>>
> Might be tied to Roddenberry. You do not violate the rules of the speed
> light limit in the fabric of the universe when you warp the fabric
> instead of moving.
>
> the saga ends with warp travel being limited due to the breaking of the
> fabric caused by all the warping.

OK it apparently has a name, but it seems unclear whether it is
physically possible to ever construct:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive