POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Heightfield modification Server Time
5 Jul 2024 08:21:55 EDT (-0400)
  Heightfield modification (Message 1 to 10 of 21)
From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Heightfield modification
Date: 15 Aug 2015 00:49:12
Message: <55cec4c8$1@news.povray.org>
Let's say that I have a array of points generated from a height field.
But I want areas of low slope to be made completely flat and rounded to
the nearest 24 vertical units.

I know that the result will no longer be a classic heightfield since
there will be vertical areas that will need to be joined by new
triangles. But how would I accomplish this?

The simplest thing to do would be to measure the slope of each triangle
relative to the ground plane and then alter the vertices. But the
triangles are in a regular grid:

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp292/SharkD2161/LDraw/terrain_nosteps_standin_01_zps6hreaqla.png

It will look funny since all they are all oriented in the same direction.

Thanks for the help!

Mike

Post a reply to this message