POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Heightfield modification : Re: Heightfield modification Server Time
8 Jul 2024 08:24:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Heightfield modification
From: clipka
Date: 15 Aug 2015 01:18:00
Message: <55cecb88$1@news.povray.org>
Am 15.08.2015 um 06:49 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> Let's say that I have a array of points generated from a height field.
> But I want areas of low slope to be made completely flat and rounded to
> the nearest 24 vertical units.
>
> I know that the result will no longer be a classic heightfield since
> there will be vertical areas that will need to be joined by new
> triangles. But how would I accomplish this?

Sounds like what you want is the equivalent of a 2D array of boxes, with
each box's height determined by an input image. Do I understand that
correctly?

POV-Ray currently doesn't provide any native support for such an object
(except of course an actual array of boxes, a mesh generated by a custom
macro, or some such). It shouldn't be too difficult to implement such a
primitive though.