POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 1+2+3+4+... = ? Server Time
6 Oct 2024 09:22:51 EDT (-0400)
  1+2+3+4+... = ? (Message 17 to 26 of 36)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Re: 1+2+3+4+... = ?
Date: 1 Aug 2015 05:24:10
Message: <55bc903a$1@news.povray.org>
On 31/07/2015 11:22 PM, clipka wrote:
> Am 27.07.2015 um 19:54 schrieb Orchid Win7 v1:
>
>> This latter type of shenanigans is mostly used in cryptography and
>> number theory, but does also pop up in places like error-correcting
>> codes. (If you've ever tried to scan a bar code or play a CD, you care
>> about error-correcting codes.)
>
> Nobody cares about error-correcting codes when playing an audio CD.
> Unlike DVD or even data CDs (aka CD-ROMs), Sony's audio CD format
> doesn't waste any data capacity on bit error recovery.

In fact, the audio CD format uses cross-interleaved Reed-Solomon codes
for error recovery.

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 1 Aug 2015 11:36:56
Message: <55bce798@news.povray.org>
Am 01.08.2015 um 11:24 schrieb Orchid Win7 v1:
> On 31/07/2015 11:22 PM, clipka wrote:
>> Am 27.07.2015 um 19:54 schrieb Orchid Win7 v1:
>>
>>> This latter type of shenanigans is mostly used in cryptography and
>>> number theory, but does also pop up in places like error-correcting
>>> codes. (If you've ever tried to scan a bar code or play a CD, you care
>>> about error-correcting codes.)
>>
>> Nobody cares about error-correcting codes when playing an audio CD.
>> Unlike DVD or even data CDs (aka CD-ROMs), Sony's audio CD format
>> doesn't waste any data capacity on bit error recovery.
>
> In fact, the audio CD format uses cross-interleaved Reed-Solomon codes
> for error recovery.

Damn, I hate to stand corrected.

But there was /something/ with regards to error recovery that CD-ROMs
have but CD-DAs don't.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 1 Aug 2015 11:50:09
Message: <55bceab1$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/1/2015 4:36 PM, clipka wrote:
>> In fact, the audio CD format uses cross-interleaved Reed-Solomon codes
>> for error recovery.
>
> Damn, I hate to stand corrected.

Write this Date in our calenders.
On the first of August two thousand and fourteen. Clipka admitted he was
wrong. :-P

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> Am 01.08.2015 um 11:24 schrieb Orchid Win7 v1:
>> In fact, the audio CD format uses cross-interleaved Reed-Solomon codes
>> for error recovery.
>
> Damn, I hate to stand corrected.
>
> But there was /something/ with regards to error recovery that CD-ROMs
> have but CD-DAs don't.

Yes, I have that vague recollection as well. I should think ISO-9660
probably has block-level checksums or similar, to allow corruption to be
detected. For audio CDs, the player is supposed to just fill in any
unreadable chunks with silence.

Post a reply to this message

>>> In fact, the audio CD format uses cross-interleaved Reed-Solomon codes
>>> for error recovery.
>>
>> Damn, I hate to stand corrected.
>
> Write this Date in our calenders.
> On the first of August two thousand and fourteen. Clipka admitted he was
> wrong. :-P

No I didn't. Not back /then/. :-P

Post a reply to this message

>> On the first of August two thousand and fourteen. Clipka admitted he was
>> wrong. :-P
>
> No I didn't. Not back /then/. :-P

Haha, 0wn3d!

Post a reply to this message

>>> Damn, I hate to stand corrected.
>>
>> Write this Date in our calenders.
>> On the first of August two thousand and fourteen. Clipka admitted he was
>> wrong. :-P
>
> No I didn't. Not back /then/. :-P

Bugrit!

--