POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 1+2+3+4+... = ? Server Time
8 Jul 2024 08:02:15 EDT (-0400)
  1+2+3+4+... = ? (Message 11 to 20 of 36)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: 1+2+3+4+... = ?
Date: 30 Jul 2015 06:29:55
Message: <55b9fca3@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> >> -6s    = 1-1+1-1+1-1+1-...
> >
> > Which is equal to:
> >
> >   -6s = (1-1)+(1-1)+(1-1)+...
> >       = 0+0+0+0+... = 0

> I'm no mathematician, but to do that you must make the assumption that
> there are an even number of terms in the infinite sum (ie every +1 has a
> -1 to pair with it). You could have assumed an odd number of terms and
> got a sum of 1 instead.

> Writing the sum equals 1 minus the sum seems to avoid the need to make
> such an assumption.

An infinite sum can't have an "odd" or an "even" number of terms.

But you bring a good point. If you pair the elements differently, you get:

 -6s = 1+(-1+1)+(-1+1)+(-1+1)+...
     = 1+0+0+0+0+... = 1

Therefore s = -1/6.

In fact, you can get basically any integer value you want for -6s when
you group the elements appropriately.

This goes to show that when you are dealing with infinities, you can
"prove" anything you want.

I think the original "proof" is bogus.

The "proof" using Riemann's zeta function is also bogus in a sense.
Riemann's zeta function is the infinite sum of 1/n^s, but only for
values of s so that Real(s) > 1. (The sum would give 1+2+3+4+... when
s = -1, but the zeta function is not 1/n^s for values of s < 1. It's
something a lot more complicated.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>> I'm no mathematician, but to do that you must make the assumption that
>> there are an even number of terms in the infinite sum (ie every +1 has a
>> -1 to pair with it). You could have assumed an odd number of terms and
>> got a sum of 1 instead.
>
>> Writing the sum equals 1 minus the sum seems to avoid the need to make
>> such an assumption.
>
> An infinite sum can't have an "odd" or an "even" number of terms.

Yes that was my point, "grouping" in any way is invalid because you must
make assumptions about the total number of terms, which you can't for an
infinite list.

Post a reply to this message

> >> I'm no mathematician, but to do that you must make the assumption that
> >> there are an even number of terms in the infinite sum (ie every +1 has a
> >> -1 to pair with it). You could have assumed an odd number of terms and
> >> got a sum of 1 instead.
> >
> >> Writing the sum equals 1 minus the sum seems to avoid the need to make
> >> such an assumption.
> >
> > An infinite sum can't have an "odd" or an "even" number of terms.

> Yes that was my point, "grouping" in any way is invalid because you must
> make assumptions about the total number of terms, which you can't for an
> infinite list.

I don't think that's how it works. (If it were, then that original "proof"
would be invalid from the get-go, because it's grouping elements and
summing those groups.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message