POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It's tornado season Server Time
6 Oct 2024 14:23:26 EDT (-0400)
  It's tornado season (Message 41 to 50 of 59)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 9 Messages >>>
From: scott
Subject: Re: It's tornado season
Date: 16 Jul 2015 06:14:57
Message: <55a78421$1@news.povray.org>
> I tell you, though (<-- Just for me). He would not feel so chipper if he
> drove the 800 miles from London to Aberdeen.

Geez did you go via Exeter or something?! :-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 16 Jul 2015 06:44:40
Message: <55a78b18$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/16/2015 11:14 AM, scott wrote:
>> I tell you, though (<-- Just for me). He would not feel so chipper if he
>> drove the 800 miles from London to Aberdeen.
>
> Geez did you go via Exeter or something?! :-)

I took the coast road. :-)
Miles were shorter in those days.
I keep getting lost.
I meant 600 miles.

Select the correct answer from the above.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 16 Jul 2015 12:51:43
Message: <55a7e11f@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 09:40:38 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> I could not believe it would be so difficult nor so time consuming to
> travel to a State Capital. Then again I have probably been over
> influenced by Hollywood and the pace of technology.

Very likely.

>> I've got a friend planning to drive from Minneapolis to Seattle in
>> September - his first real vacation in years.  That drive is
>> (comparatively) short, a mere 1,600 miles. :)  He's figuring two days
>> each direction.
>>

> I quite envy him his trip. I like long distance driving. I also liked
> driving in rural America. It is relaxing. The drive from Miami to Key
> West felt historic and I've driven on part of Route 66. :-)

Very much so - I enjoy those kinds of long drives as well - though
recently, most of my longer trips on the surface have been by train (I'm
flying to Denver next week - and again next month - because the train is
too long a trip and too expensive).

> I tell you, though (<-- Just for me). He would not feel so chipper if he
> drove the 800 miles from London to Aberdeen. Eight hours of
> concentration and a very long lie in the next day.

That is very true.

I'm glad you spelled "though" correctly, too - well done. ;)

>>> Even the rural areas close to London are packed with bodies. But on
>>> the other hand. In Scotland, outside of the urban areas. The sheep
>>> have facebook accounts because it is so lonely. :-)
>>
>> I remember both well. :)
>>

> As do the sheep, you. They send their regards. :-)

I see we made some common friends. ;)

>>> One of the joys in my life was taking the ferry to work when I lived
>>> in Sydney. I used to walk through the Botanic Gardens to Circular
>>> Quay, have a short black*. Then enjoy the ride. :-)
>>
>> Yeah, we've done the ferry once (with the car), and I really enjoyed
>> it. But when it's busy, I can see it being a pain, too - having to wait
>> 2-3 hours for one that's not full seems like it would be no fun.
>>

> Can you imagine what it would be like in the winter?
> Find somewhere near the bridge. :-)

Heh, no, winters here don't tend to get snow - and when there is snow,
the city shuts down; the amount of rain we allegedly get here means the
roads are designed for drainage rather than being good for snow/ice.
Especially with how hilly it is.  Seattle's not very different from, say,
Houston, when it snows here.  But it's a pretty rare thing.

>> But that typically would only happen when taking the car - walk-on
>> isn't generally that much of a problem, and there is light rail in
>> Seattle, and a fairly decent public transit system.
>>
> That would suit me, in the summer. I prefer using public transport, if I
> can.

We probably would - but where we currently live is more affluent, and a
recent vote denied expansion of bus routes in the area. :/

>>> * Strine** for espresso coffee. I thought I had better clarify. You
>>> never can be too careful.
>>
>> True that. :)
>>

> I have know idea what's considered offensive, any more. Except for the
> things I consider offensive.

I've recently been accused (incorrectly, I might add) of being an "easily
offended liberal" in another community.  It's like people don't know
me. ;)

Jim

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 11:44:36 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> On 7/16/2015 11:14 AM, scott wrote:
>>> I tell you, though (<-- Just for me). He would not feel so chipper if
>>> he drove the 800 miles from London to Aberdeen.
>>
>> Geez did you go via Exeter or something?! :-)
>>

> I took the coast road. :-)
> Miles were shorter in those days.
> I keep getting lost.
> I meant 600 miles.
>
> Select the correct answer from the above.

LOL