POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It's tornado season Server Time
8 Jul 2024 08:34:12 EDT (-0400)
  It's tornado season (Message 11 to 20 of 59)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: It's tornado season
Date: 10 Jul 2015 19:55:48
Message: <55a05b84$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 14:26:26 -0400, James Holsenback wrote:

> On 07/10/2015 01:22 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:

>> radar/333321

>>> well dodged a bullet ... couple of funnel clouds spotted but the
>>> didn't touch down
>>
>> That's good news.  All we have up here in Seattle is smoke from the
>> fires in Canada (well, it's cloudy today - maybe we'll finally get some
>> rain - it's been really dry this year).
>
> we've been soggy here since spring. off and on high water and impassable
> roads at times ... fronts stall as they head into west virginia and we
> are low compared to them ... flash floods. from looking at the weather
> news you guys out west sure could use some of our rain!

Yeah.  My new boss is in Denver, but went to school here in Seattle - and
said that this spring/summer has felt like she was back here.

It's almost like we've become an extension of California from a water
level standpoint, and people here aren't really aware of water usage
(because, well, 135 days of rain per year on average).

My wife and I, having lived in Utah for 20/30 years (the former for me,
the latter for her) are well-versed in water restrictions.  The locals
here - not so much.

Jim

Le 2015-07-10 13:22, Jim Henderson a écrit :
> On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 13:16:07 -0400, James Holsenback wrote:

> radar/333321
>>>
>>> rain drops the size of quarters ... sky VERY dark and nasty looking
>>
>> well dodged a bullet ... couple of funnel clouds spotted but the didn't
>> touch down
>
> That's good news.  All we have up here in Seattle is smoke from the fires
> in Canada (well, it's cloudy today - maybe we'll finally get some rain -
> it's been really dry this year).
>
> Jim

I never thought I'd hear a Seattleite ask for more rain!

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Jul 2015 14:06:47
Message: <55a3fe37$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 09:14:47 -0400, Francois Labreque wrote:

> I never thought I'd hear a Seattleite ask for more rain!

Well, we've only been here a little over a year. ;)

Jim

From: Stephen
Date: 13 Jul 2015 14:15:56
Message: <55a4005c$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/13/2015 7:06 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:

> Well, we've only been here a little over a year. ;)

That long?
My, how time flies.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Jul 2015 15:10:43
Message: <55a40d33$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 19:15:55 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> On 7/13/2015 7:06 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>
>> Well, we've only been here a little over a year. ;)
>>

> That long?
> My, how time flies.

Yeah, we'll actually have been here 18 months the end of August.

Jim

From: Stephen
Date: 13 Jul 2015 16:57:05
Message: <55a42621$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/13/2015 8:10 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 19:15:55 +0100, Stephen wrote:
>
>> On 7/13/2015 7:06 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, we've only been here a little over a year. ;)
>>>

>> That long?
>> My, how time flies.
>
> Yeah, we'll actually have been here 18 months the end of August.

As I said. Time flies.

Did you get Clue?

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 14 Jul 2015 01:16:12
Message: <55a49b1c$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 21:57:04 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> On 7/13/2015 8:10 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> That long?
>>> My, how time flies.
>>
>> Yeah, we'll actually have been here 18 months the end of August.
>>

> As I said. Time flies.

Indeed it does - we're looking at maybe moving again in February - the
rent is pretty steep here, and it's *extremely* crowded.  We're looking
at perhaps a place on Bainbridge Island, on the west side of Seattle
(other side of Puget Sound).

> Did you get Clue?

I did - going to listen to it tonight.

Jim

From: James Holsenback
Date: 14 Jul 2015 03:00:15
Message: <55a4b37f$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/14/2015 01:16 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 21:57:04 +0100, Stephen wrote:

>>> Yeah, we'll actually have been here 18 months the end of August.
>>>

>> As I said. Time flies.
>
> Indeed it does - we're looking at maybe moving again in February - the
> rent is pretty steep here, and it's *extremely* crowded.  We're looking
> at perhaps a place on Bainbridge Island, on the west side of Seattle
> (other side of Puget Sound).

how far is that from bremerton shipyard ... my old ship the Kitty Hawk
(cv-63) is there. she was decommissioned in 2009 right now still in
ready reserve but there is a effort underway to save her from scrap heap
and becoming a museum in long beach close to the queen mary. the Ranger
(CV-61) lost that battle and just arrived (got towed) to brownsville
texas and will be dismantled as scrap. would be a shame if the hawk
ended up that way ... she was the first ship of the kitty hawk class and
the last one of that class in service. at one point she was the flag
ship if the navy and flew the red and white stripped "don't tread on me"
ensign

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Kitty_Hawk_%28CV-63%29

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 14 Jul 2015 04:02:25
Message: <55a4c211$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/14/2015 8:00 AM, James Holsenback wrote:
> how far is that from bremerton shipyard ... my old ship the Kitty Hawk
> (cv-63) is there. she was decommissioned in 2009 right now still in
> ready reserve but there is a effort underway to save her from scrap heap
> and becoming a museum in long beach close to the queen mary. the Ranger
> (CV-61) lost that battle and just arrived (got towed) to brownsville
> texas and will be dismantled as scrap. would be a shame if the hawk
> ended up that way ... she was the first ship of the kitty hawk class and
> the last one of that class in service. at one point she was the flag
> ship if the navy and flew the red and white stripped "don't tread on me"
> ensign

I hope that the USS Kitty Hawk is not scrapped. I have heard that name
countless times, over the years.
It is sad when part of your life gets consigned to the scrap heap. The
Oil Platform I worked on, for 12 years, was decommissioned last year. :-(

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 14 Jul 2015 12:16:12
Message: <55a535cc$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 03:00:16 -0400, James Holsenback wrote:

> On 07/14/2015 01:16 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> As I said. Time flies.
>>
>> Indeed it does - we're looking at maybe moving again in February - the
>> rent is pretty steep here, and it's *extremely* crowded.  We're looking
>> at perhaps a place on Bainbridge Island, on the west side of Seattle
>> (other side of Puget Sound).
>
> how far is that from bremerton shipyard ... my old ship the Kitty Hawk
> (cv-63) is there. she was decommissioned in 2009 right now still in
> ready reserve but there is a effort underway to save her from scrap heap
> and becoming a museum in long beach close to the queen mary. the Ranger
> (CV-61) lost that battle and just arrived (got towed) to brownsville
> texas and will be dismantled as scrap. would be a shame if the hawk
> ended up that way ... she was the first ship of the kitty hawk class and
> the last one of that class in service. at one point she was the flag
> ship if the navy and flew the red and white stripped "don't tread on me"
> ensign
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Kitty_Hawk_%28CV-63%29

As the crow flies, it's not far - but it's the other side of Port
Orchard, so driving distance is about 30 miles. (There's no direct ferry,
so taking the ferry takes longer - back to Seattle and then the Bremerton
ferry, which docks there; it probably would take less time in light
traffic from here in Bellevue than it would to take the ferry from BI to
Bremerton).

Jim