POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This looks dangerous Server Time
6 Oct 2024 10:20:17 EDT (-0400)
  This looks dangerous (Message 11 to 20 of 43)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: This looks dangerous
Date: 2 Apr 2015 17:38:07
Message: <551db6bf$1@news.povray.org>
On 02/04/2015 21:37, Doctor John wrote:
> On 02/04/15 08:14, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>> Here is another April's joke, from a leading serious journal:
>>
>> http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v520/n7545/full/520042a.html
>>

> Hardly a joke. The Feegle has assured me that dragons and dinosaurs live
> in the wooded areas of Battersea Park.

Can't say he's wrong.
I've met a few dragons, in my time. Several in my family, mater of fact.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 3 Apr 2015 03:16:18
Message: <551e3e42$1@news.povray.org>
On 2-4-2015 22:37, Doctor John wrote:
> On 02/04/15 08:14, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>> Here is another April's joke, from a leading serious journal:
>>
>> http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v520/n7545/full/520042a.html
>>

> Hardly a joke. The Feegle has assured me that dragons and dinosaurs live
> in the wooded areas of Battersea Park.
>
> John

They had to make it look like a joke of course. You know the
consequences if you don't.

I agree about Battersea Park. I heard rumours about them when I resided
in Morden about 55 years ago.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 3 Apr 2015 03:57:47
Message: <551e47fb$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/04/2015 08:16, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> I heard rumours about them when I resided in Morden about 55 years ago.

Morden! "The Town of the Moor". ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morden#Origin_of_name

Now I understand where your inspiration comes from. :-)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 3 Apr 2015 07:35:22
Message: <551e7afa$1@news.povray.org>
On 3-4-2015 9:57, Stephen wrote:
> On 03/04/2015 08:16, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>> I heard rumours about them when I resided in Morden about 55 years ago.
>
> Morden! "The Town of the Moor". ;-)
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morden#Origin_of_name
>
> Now I understand where your inspiration comes from. :-)

LOL
That must be it indeed. That photograph of Morden in the 60th is what I
remember. I said 55 years ago, it must have been 50 rather as my stay
must have been in 1965. The Rolling Stones were singing "Satisfaction',
to the great scandal of the lady of the family I was staying with. ;-)

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Date: 3 Apr 2015 16:21:21
Message: <551ef641$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/04/15 12:35, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 3-4-2015 9:57, Stephen wrote:
>> On 03/04/2015 08:16, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>>> I heard rumours about them when I resided in Morden about 55 years ago.
>>
>> Morden! "The Town of the Moor". ;-)
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morden#Origin_of_name
>>
>> Now I understand where your inspiration comes from. :-)
>>
> LOL
> That must be it indeed. That photograph of Morden in the 60th is what I
> remember. I said 55 years ago, it must have been 50 rather as my stay
> must have been in 1965. The Rolling Stones were singing "Satisfaction',
> to the great scandal of the lady of the family I was staying with. ;-)

... I'm driving in my car
and a man comes on the radio
he's telling me more and more ...

My stepmother hated it. I rather like to think that my natural mother is
still dancing to the rhythm.

John
--
Protect the Earth
It was not given to you by your parents

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 4 Apr 2015 03:13:12
Message: <551f8f08$1@news.povray.org>
On 3-4-2015 22:21, Doctor John wrote:
> On 03/04/15 12:35, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>>>
>>> Morden! "The Town of the Moor". ;-)
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morden#Origin_of_name
>>>
>>> Now I understand where your inspiration comes from. :-)
>>>
>> LOL
>> That must be it indeed. That photograph of Morden in the 60th is what I
>> remember. I said 55 years ago, it must have been 50 rather as my stay
>> must have been in 1965. The Rolling Stones were singing "Satisfaction',
>> to the great scandal of the lady of the family I was staying with. ;-)
>>

> ... I'm driving in my car
> and a man comes on the radio
> he's telling me more and more ...
>
> My stepmother hated it. I rather like to think that my natural mother is
> still dancing to the rhythm.

<grin> It was a typical generation thing. I remember the worried, lost,
gaze of my landlady when commenting the song on the radio. What could I
say? I was 17 and she served me beans and kidneys at breakfast. :-)

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 4 Apr 2015 03:48:15
Message: <551f973f$1@news.povray.org>
On 04/04/2015 08:13, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>>> That must be it indeed. That photograph of Morden in the 60th is what I
>>> remember. I said 55 years ago, it must have been 50 rather as my stay
>>> must have been in 1965. The Rolling Stones were singing "Satisfaction',
>>> to the great scandal of the lady of the family I was staying with. ;-)
>>>

>> ... I'm driving in my car
>> and a man comes on the radio
>> he's telling me more and more ...
>>
>> My stepmother hated it. I rather like to think that my natural mother is
>> still dancing to the rhythm.
>>

> <grin> It was a typical generation thing. I remember the worried, lost,
> gaze of my landlady when commenting the song on the radio. What could I
> say? I was 17 and she served me beans and kidneys at breakfast. :-)

I remember what I was doing when I first heard Satisfaction.*
I was camping with the BB at Stonehaven. And was listening to Radio
Luxembourg on my 6 transistor radio**, when it came on. The big boys
even stopped talking about girls, to listen.

* Better than remembering what you were doing when someone died.

** That’s how they were rated back then. The more transistors the better
the radio.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Date: 4 Apr 2015 05:08:02
Message: <551fa9f2$1@news.povray.org>
On 04/04/15 08:48, Stephen wrote:
<big snip>

> * Better than remembering what you were doing when someone died.

I dunno, mate. I was telling her a joke, she smiled and said 'I've heard
it before'. That's how I remember her: a smile on her face.

> ** That’s how they were rated back then. The more transistors the better
> the radio.

What's a transistor? I'm still trying to get to grips with this
new-fangled valve technology.

John

From: Doctor John
Date: 4 Apr 2015 05:12:49
Message: <551fab11$1@news.povray.org>
On 04/04/15 10:08, Doctor John wrote:
> On 04/04/15 08:48, Stephen wrote:
> <big snip>
>
>> * Better than remembering what you were doing when someone died.
>>

> I dunno, mate. I was telling her a joke, she smiled and said 'I've heard
> it before'. That's how I remember her: a smile on her face.
>
>> ** That’s how they were rated back then. The more transistors the better
>> the radio.
>>

> What's a transistor? I'm still trying to get to grips with this
> new-fangled valve technology.
>
> John

Oh, btw. I came across this on the 'net:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s19yiPX7UDg

I think St would have approved

John

From: Stephen
Date: 4 Apr 2015 06:11:23
Message: <551fb8cb$1@news.povray.org>
On 04/04/2015 10:12, Doctor John wrote:
> On 04/04/15 10:08, Doctor John wrote:
>> On 04/04/15 08:48, Stephen wrote:
>> <big snip>
>>
>>> * Better than remembering what you were doing when someone died.
>>>

>> I dunno, mate. I was telling her a joke, she smiled and said 'I've heard
>> it before'. That's how I remember her: a smile on her face.
>>
>>> ** That’s how they were rated back then. The more transistors the better
>>> the radio.
>>>

>> What's a transistor? I'm still trying to get to grips with this
>> new-fangled valve technology.
>>
>> John
>>

> Oh, btw. I came across this on the 'net:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s19yiPX7UDg
>
> I think St would have approved

As Henning Wehn has just said on the radio. Interesting. ;-)

I'll match your internet browsing and raise you a bluegrass version of
the Sailor's Hornpipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V39rKSOQFjc&feature=player_detailpage#t=33

--

Regards