POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Total solar eclipse Server Time
8 Jul 2024 08:19:27 EDT (-0400)
  Total solar eclipse (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: scott
Subject: Total solar eclipse
Date: 20 Mar 2015 05:41:11
Message: <550beb37$1@news.povray.org>
100% eclipsed by cloud here! typical.

Is it coincidence it is also the equinox today?

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: Total solar eclipse
Date: 20 Mar 2015 06:49:09
Message: <550bfb25$1@news.povray.org>
Am 20.03.2015 um 10:41 schrieb scott:

> Is it coincidence it is also the equinox today?

Yes, absolutely.

If the lunar orbit was close to the earth's equatorial plane, eclipses
(both solar and lunar) would indeed necessarily occur around the spring
and autumn equinox.

However, the moon's orbital plane exhibits a noticeable precession
(periodic tumbling motion) with a period of 18.60 years, causing the
time of year at which eclipses occur to shift by about 20 days every year.

Post a reply to this message

> Is it coincidence it is also the equinox today?

There's also going to be a total lunar eclipse Apr 4th ...

Post a reply to this message