POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Total solar eclipse Server Time
6 Oct 2024 06:10:19 EDT (-0400)
  Total solar eclipse (Message 4 to 13 of 13)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Total solar eclipse
Date: 20 Mar 2015 10:26:31
Message: <550c2e17$1@news.povray.org>
>> 100% eclipsed by cloud here! typical.
>>
>> Is it coincidence it is also the equinox today?
>
> There's also going to be a total lunar eclipse Apr 4th ...

Unfortunately I'll be on the wrong side of the planet for that - but
there's another one on 28/Sep for me :-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 20 Mar 2015 14:02:56
Message: <550c60d0$1@news.povray.org>
On 20/03/2015 09:41 AM, scott wrote:
> 100% eclipsed by cloud here! typical.

The Sun was Obscured by Clouds </PinkFloyd>.

However, my colleges and I were able to observe the event anyhow, since
the cloud cover was not complete. I tried using a pinhole camera. My
boss discovered that DVDs are actually very slightly transparent. But my
suggestion was apparently the best: wrap the entrails out of a floppy
disk and use that. Works better doubled over. Makes the Sun look like
cola...

Post a reply to this message

Am 20.03.2015 um 19:03 schrieb Orchid Win7 v1:

> However, my colleges and I were able to observe the event anyhow, since
> the cloud cover was not complete. I tried using a pinhole camera. My
> boss discovered that DVDs are actually very slightly transparent. But my
> suggestion was apparently the best: wrap the entrails out of a floppy
> disk and use that. Works better doubled over. Makes the Sun look like
> cola...

Been there, done that in 1999.

Post a reply to this message

On 20-3-2015 19:03, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> On 20/03/2015 09:41 AM, scott wrote:
>> 100% eclipsed by cloud here! typical.
>
> The Sun was Obscured by Clouds </PinkFloyd>.
>
> However, my colleges and I were able to observe the event anyhow, since
> the cloud cover was not complete. I tried using a pinhole camera. My
> boss discovered that DVDs are actually very slightly transparent. But my
> suggestion was apparently the best: wrap the entrails out of a floppy
> disk and use that. Works better doubled over. Makes the Sun look like
> cola...

DVD, floppies Warning: Bad for your eyes!! (no kidding)

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

On 21/03/2015 08:10, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 20-3-2015 19:03, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>> On 20/03/2015 09:41 AM, scott wrote:
>>> 100% eclipsed by cloud here! typical.
>>
>> The Sun was Obscured by Clouds </PinkFloyd>.
>>
>> However, my colleges and I were able to observe the event anyhow, since
>> the cloud cover was not complete. I tried using a pinhole camera. My
>> boss discovered that DVDs are actually very slightly transparent. But my
>> suggestion was apparently the best: wrap the entrails out of a floppy
>> disk and use that. Works better doubled over. Makes the Sun look like
>> cola...
>
> DVD, floppies Warning: Bad for your eyes!! (no kidding)

Yes, too stupid even for a Darwin Award.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/03/20/solar-eclipse-2015-pictures-reveal-welding-masks-cardboard-boxes-popular-headwear_n_6908258.html?

--

Regards
     Stephen