POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Daz install vs. "download only" Poser.. Server Time
8 Jul 2024 08:45:43 EDT (-0400)
  Daz install vs. "download only" Poser.. (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Daz install vs. "download only" Poser..
Date: 19 Dec 2014 11:04:06
Message: <54944c76$1@news.povray.org>
Don't know. Maybe they did something saner in "newer" version but.. Lets
compare.

Daz3D - download the free download manager and get.. free Daz3D, then
the manager tracks all purchases and installs them as well, as you buy
the bloody things.

Poser 9 - Where to start..

1. poser.com has no "account" login. See, their "content" is handled by
another site, and the main page is "only" a snazzy advert, with some
links, which will eventually get you to the right place, if you are
looking for, say, an upgrade patch.

2. Files.. are zip archives. Yeah, they are actually exes, but they are
all crammed into zips. WTF?

3. These all have to be, individually, unpacked to a single location,
then the installer run, to actually, well.. install.

4. Downloads are "time limited", so.. if you, say, had a massive hard
drive crash, like I did, you can't redownload the damn things.

5. Trying to use a "trial" install may, or may not, get you recharged
for it (I never could get a straight answer from them on whether it was
actually going to do that, or if the new key issues would just.. work,
since it seemed to be providing me with links to the "full install", and
showed $0 for the cost, go figure..). But, then.. you still have to
figure out how the frak to get to their content site, to download the
right files to do the full install, which is.. non-obvious.

Should have, I think, just given up. lol

--
Commander Vimes: "You take a bunch of people who don't seem any
different from you and me, but when you add them all together you get

Post a reply to this message