POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Daz install vs. "download only" Poser.. : Re: Daz install vs. "download only" Poser.. Server Time
6 Oct 2024 06:12:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Daz install vs. "download only" Poser..
From: clipka
Date: 20 Dec 2014 11:39:29
Message: <5495a641$1@news.povray.org>
Am 19.12.2014 um 17:03 schrieb Patrick Elliott:
> Don't know. Maybe they did something saner in "newer" version but.. Lets
> compare.
>
> Daz3D - download the free download manager and get.. free Daz3D, then
> the manager tracks all purchases and installs them as well, as you buy
> the bloody things.

Love that, too. Unfortunately it only works with stuff bought on Daz3D,
though technically Poser-compatible stuff from, say, Renderosity can
also be used in Daz3D. With Poser, on the other hand, everything is
equally cumbersome to install.

The thing is, SmithMicro is apparently making most of their money by
selling the Poser software, and they know that content-wise they have
tremendous allies in 3rd party shops, so they have no interest in
keeping their user base limited to the SmithMicro shop. Daz3D on the
other hand is obviously making most of their money by selling content,
so they have great interest in binding customers to /their/ shop alone,
which they do by making /their/ stuff install like a charm; and as far
as I'm concerned, this strategy works perfectly.