POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Don't update Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:24:14 EDT (-0400)
  Don't update (Message 11 to 20 of 32)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Don't update
Date: 10 Oct 2014 15:47:16
Message: <543837c4@news.povray.org>
On 10/10/2014 20:27, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> ...I guess that makes the customer the beta tester? :-S

The name of the game. :-(

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 10 Oct 2014 23:27:23
Message: <5438a39b$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 16:25:24 +0100, Doctor John wrote:

> ... A good question.
> 5000 words on the subject by our next tutorial, please ... and that
> includes you two, Henderson and Macavoy.

(Because.) * 5000

From: Bald Eagle
Date: 11 Oct 2014 00:30:01
Message: <web.5438b194fd38f155e7df57c0@news.povray.org>

> (Because.) * 5000

tsk. tsk.
That's only one very large scalar Because.

#version 3.7;
#include "debug.inc"
 Set_Debug (true)
#debug "Because, "
#declare Word = 2;
#while (Word < 5000)
     #debug "because, "
     #declare Word = Word + 1;
#end
#debug ".  :D"

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 11 Oct 2014 03:15:59
Message: <5438d92e@news.povray.org>
nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> hate updates.  IMHO, they're just sales tactics to get you to buy newer,
> "faster" hardware now that they updated your old hardware into complete junk by
> making it run far more "optimizations" than it can deal with...

That doesn't make any sense. If you have, for example, the latest
NVidia card, and a driver update breaks it, you are being enticed to
buy a newer... what, exactly? Firstly, there is no "newer" anything
if you already own the newest NVidia card, and secondly, the driver
would be buggy even with a newer card if there is one.

Breaking your own product with a driver update is bad PR. What it
does is to entice to switch to a competing product. Why would any
sane company do that? They don't.

Your comment makes no sense.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>> hate updates.  IMHO, they're just sales tactics to get you to buy newer,
>> "faster" hardware now that they updated your old hardware into complete junk by
>> making it run far more "optimizations" than it can deal with...
>
> That doesn't make any sense. If you have, for example, the latest
> NVidia card, and a driver update breaks it, you are being enticed to
> buy a newer... what, exactly? Firstly, there is no "newer" anything
> if you already own the newest NVidia card, and secondly, the driver
> would be buggy even with a newer card if there is one.
>
> Breaking your own product with a driver update is bad PR. What it
> does is to entice to switch to a competing product. Why would any
> sane company do that? They don't.
>
> Your comment makes no sense.

Well, both are right... in different products.

Apple's update usually make previous generation crawls. So, you need the
latest hardware on update.

--
IQ of crossposters with FU: 100 / (number of groups)
IQ of crossposters without FU: 100 / (1 + number of groups)

Post a reply to this message