POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Splines - odd claim Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:20:54 EDT (-0400)
  Splines - odd claim (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Splines - odd claim
Date: 6 Oct 2014 11:55:00
Message: <web.5432baa198b7a2045e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
From post # .... 13   :O

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?181405-Lofting-A-Dragon

"I don't know much about CAD programs, but it is said that there is no CAD
program on the market that can generate or replicate a set of ship's curves."

Like any unsupported claim where "it is said" [by WHO???], I view this with
great skepticism, especially since given what computers and CAD are capable of
doing, _reproducing_ an existing set of curves seems... trivial.
I mean, someone had the design and means to make them in the first place, right?

Makes no sense.
That, and these boat people need to be introduced to POV-Ray...  :D

Post a reply to this message

> "I don't know much about CAD programs, but it is said that there is no CAD
> program on the market that can generate or replicate a set of ship's curves."
>
> Like any unsupported claim where "it is said" [by WHO???], I view this with
> great skepticism, especially since given what computers and CAD are capable of
> doing, _reproducing_ an existing set of curves seems... trivial.
> I mean, someone had the design and means to make them in the first place, right?

For example CATIA has a whole module aimed at digitising existing
surface data (from photos, 2D drawings or even laser scanned data). Or
you could just use the spline function in any CAD software, that would
surely be flexible enough. I would have assumed that all ships were
designed and simulated in CAD anyway today and optimised for minimum
drag etc.

Post a reply to this message

> That, and these boat people need to be introduced to POV-Ray...  :D

On topic! [Covers eyes so he can't see the blasphemy]
Your penance is to provide a virtual beer token to all the elders of
this group.

John the Elder
--
Protect the Earth
It was not given to you by your parents

Post a reply to this message

> I would have assumed that all ships were
> designed and simulated in CAD anyway today and optimised for minimum
> drag etc.

Nah. They're designed by bearded, pipe-smoking, old men on the back of
envelopes (usually in a pub) ;-)

John
--
Protect the Earth
It was not given to you by your parents
You hold it in trust for your children

Post a reply to this message

>> That, and these boat people need to be introduced to POV-Ray...  :D
>>

> On topic! [Covers eyes so he can't see the blasphemy]
> Your penance is to provide a virtual beer token to all the elders of
> this group.

People will start to think that you're a lush.

> John the Elder

Ah! Btw Susanna sends her regards and said.
Expect a visit from Operation Yewtree.

I can't think what she means. :-S

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

Am 06.10.2014 17:52, schrieb Bald Eagle:

>  From post # .... 13   :O
>
> http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?181405-Lofting-A-Dragon
>
> "I don't know much about CAD programs, but it is said that there is no CAD
> program on the market that can generate or replicate a set of ship's curves."
>
> Like any unsupported claim where "it is said" [by WHO???], I view this with
> great skepticism, especially since given what computers and CAD are capable of
> doing, _reproducing_ an existing set of curves seems... trivial.
> I mean, someone had the design and means to make them in the first place, right?

I'm pretty sure that technically he's perfectly right: No CAD software
can reproduce these *exactly*.

Aside from that... well, 'nuff said.

Post a reply to this message

> I'm pretty sure that technically he's perfectly right: No CAD software
> can reproduce these *exactly*.

What degree of tolerance is applied to *exact*?

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> "I don't know much about CAD programs, but it is said that there is no CAD
> program on the market that can generate or replicate a set of ship's curves."

Then go here:

http://www.delftship.net/

I have used this program for building ships...

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

>> I'm pretty sure that technically he's perfectly right: No CAD software
>> can reproduce these *exactly*.
>
> What degree of tolerance is applied to *exact*?

None ;-)

Post a reply to this message

>> I would have assumed that all ships were
>> designed and simulated in CAD anyway today and optimised for minimum
>> drag etc.
>
> Nah. They're designed by bearded, pipe-smoking, old men on the back of
> envelopes (usually in a pub) ;-)

I thought they used beer coasters for that.  That's why they call it
CAD: Coaster Assisted Design.